• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing white trousers - white socks?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to wear coloured patterned socks - I haven't owned white socks since school and don't intend to.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Why does everyone assume white socks ==> athletic socks? I have some cream white summerweight cotton socks with an argyle-pattern weave that I often wear with white pants. That's not even in the same ballpark (ahem) as athletic socks.

On the other hand, I think white athletic socks would call attention, in a bad way, even with white trousers.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I visited with Yann Debelle de Montby in Shanghai, he was quite enthusiastic about my socks, which were textured beige ones worn with a beige glen-plaid suit.

I therefore suggest textured beige hose.

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
Why does everyone assume white socks ==> athletic socks? I have some cream white summerweight cotton socks with an argyle-pattern weave that I often wear with white pants. That's not even in the same ballpark (ahem) as athletic socks.

On the other hand, I think white athletic socks would call attention, in a bad way, even with white trousers.

Exactly right.

Just because socks are white does not mean they have to be sports socks. They can be knee legnth in fil d'Ecosse, in which case I don't see the issue wearing them with white trousers. Having said that, personally, I wouldn't go for a pure, bright white, but chose an off-white / beige color.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my cream-coloured trousers I tend to wear my Nagrani 'Gatsby' socks, they're mostly a kind of heather grey colour, with an added 'fun' design...

MikeDos

Reaction score
id say tan socks w/ white shorts goes hard

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Historical for what it's worth... and ignoring for a moment how "white" some of these are supposed to be.

Eskyv7.jpg

Eskyv9.jpg

Eskyi3.jpg

Eskyf9.jpg

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I Choose Fun.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrenetique
You have rules, and spirit of the rules.

Rules say : no white socks. Spirit of the rules explains why : because you must not draw the viewer's attention to your feet, which are ungraceful and lifeless. The viewer's eye must focus on your face, not on your socks.

While wearing white pants, the best way of drawing attention to your feet consists in wearing "fun" and "colored" socks. Actually, the sock can be understood as an extension to your pants (your foot being an extension of your leg), hence the easiest way to please is to match pants and socks. So, it looks always kosher to wear white socks with white pants, because no one will notice, and that's the point. You should also wear white underpants, for that very same reason.

The main problem, now, is to choose the right shoes.

I fail to see how colorful socks will stop people from looking at your face. Unless you are sitting or wearing high waters, not only are your socks largely non-visible, but your face has a decided advantage in bering at the same basic level as someone else's face.

Perhaps we should all wear nude body stockings.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N

I am not sure why you are making that assumption; your cream socks are most certainly in the same ball park. But no reason you can't have a good game in them..

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It generally works if you own a pizzeria...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoes are also white, or spectators with white content, I have a hard time imagining that anything would work better than white dress socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads