Wearing vintage clothing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Oct 9, 2007.

1. mainy

mainy Senior member

I don`t like the idea of wearing used clothing, so vintage is out of the question for me. Too much vintage = costume in my opinion.

The best way to do it is to get clothes that are vintage inspired, or use vintage material to make new clothes.

To me, one of the advantages of vintage clothing is being able to buy something at a quality level I would never be able to afford today. I have several vintage pieces from the 40's that have spectacular craftsmanship, and do not look dated to this day [​IMG] . I have never been a fan of dressing as though I am in costume though.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I have several vintage pieces from the 40's that have spectacular craftsmanship, and do not look dated to this day

This is why I do not wear vintage. I have never found high-quality older garments in good condition in my size.

3. mainy

mainy Senior member

This is why I do not wear vintage. I have never found high-quality older garments in good condition in my size.
    I am a tiny person... The items that I do own fit me like a glove. Maybe people were just smaller back then? I don't know. But it seems like if I do find something that fits me while thrifting, it's vintage from the 30's-late 50's.

4. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

I like the idea of vintage luxury. Are there any particular websites (apart from ebay) where quality vintage items can be found? I tend to favour modern clothes which are fairly timeless anyway. I imagine some imagination could assemble a Martin Margiela-style outfit on the cheap. In fact, looking in the lookbook at matchesfashion.com, I see a couple of Margiela jackets which look very dated with similar button stance and lapel cut to many cheap old jackets found on ebay.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like the idea of vintage luxury. Are there any particular websites (apart from ebay) where quality vintage items can be found? I tend to favour modern clothes which are fairly timeless anyway. I imagine some imagination could assemble a Martin Margiela-style outfit on the cheap. In fact, looking in the lookbook at matchesfashion.com, I see a couple of Margiela jackets which look very dated with similar button stance and lapel cut to many cheap old jackets found on ebay.

There are numerous antique websites where vintage accessories may be found. Also, there are some niche stores that specialize in vintage luxury goods such as Hermes leather, Dunhill lighters and exotic-skinned items.

6. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

How old is vintage? 20 years?

7. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

interesting responses. I think that my friend looked kinda dumb in his getup, mostly because of the shawl collar on the jacket, satin piping on the trousers, burnt collar on the white shirt, and his pimp-looking exotic skin monkstraps. the hat would have been sufficient in my mind, with a recent (or timeless looking) suit. It was more the look of a crazy person, rather than costume-y.

Again, he only chooses the highest quality pieces, and claims they are in spectacular condition (well, except for that burnt shirt collar....) He refuses to use ebay, as he insists on trying things on to ensure good fit with very little to no alterations, and I have to admit he does well on it.

However, i have to listen to his comments when we visited paul stuart, etc. about "how he could find something of that or better quality for two dollars at his favorite vintage store [one of his favorites is called the Silver Moon-- just saw their website, which is pretty cool actually]."

[​IMG] If you were wondering, I bought a really fantastic pair of light grey trousers at Paul Stuart, flat front and TRUE medium weight cloth to minimize wrinkling (they are hemming the trouser with no cuff, and adding heel guards for me). the cloth is great! I also bought a pair of heavier over-the-calf socks, which is one of my favorite offerings at PS.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

How old is vintage? 20 years?

At least 30 years, 40 to be really more precise.

9. imightbechad

imightbechad Senior member

+1 on the websties. all the one's i can track down are pretty dodgey.

chad

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] If you were wondering, I bought a really fantastic pair of light grey trousers at Paul Stuart, flat front and TRUE medium weight cloth to minimize wrinkling (they are hemming the trouser with no cuff, and adding heel guards for me). the cloth is great! I also bought a pair of heavier over-the-calf socks, which is one of my favorite offerings at PS.

No cuffs? [​IMG]

12. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

on flat front trousers?? No way!! I have only broken this rule of thumb once, when Oxxford put cuffs on my radcliff suit by mistake. It isn't bad, but I think I'll take the trousers into the store in NYC on my trip later this month and have them create a hem with full heel guards (for additional weight and durability)

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

^^^ I am not much for rules, but this one has always struk me as a way to promote easy decision making rather than a good rule of thumb.

14. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

[one of his favorites is called the Silver Moon-- just saw their website, which is pretty cool actually]."
    Yes it is. Some very nice vintage suits to be found there, and all very affordable.

http://www.silvermoonvintage.com/

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member