• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Torn Jeans with a Jacket.

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of the Thavar blue/washed slim jeans from Diesel. I tried the jeans on with a few jackets as a casual/smart outfit with a white shirt,cardigan and my moccasins, they make a good combination. Only problem is the jeans have a torn effect under the left pocket. Could i get away with?

- I would love to post pictures but i haven´t had the time.
frown.gif

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
i'm no expert, but don't see why not. what color / texture jacket are you pairing with?

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
I recently bought a pair of the Thavar blue/washed slim jeans from Diesel. I tried the jeans on with a few jackets as a casual/smart outfit with a white shirt,cardigan and my moccasins, they make a good combination. Only problem is the jeans have a torn effect under the left pocket. Could i get away with?

- I would love to post pictures but i haven´t had the time.
frown.gif

Maybe it's because I'm more purist than anything but I think the jeans/jacket combination is a fail, especially when the jacket is paired with "distressed" jeans. Makes for a cheap look, IMHO. Just my opinion...

IsteRed

Reaction score
I've done that many times,that's all about confidence,if you can pull it off i can't see why not,i've done that and in my opinion it looked very good.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmacey
Maybe it's because I'm more purist than anything but I think the jeans/jacket combination is a fail, especially when the jacket is paired with "distressed" jeans. Makes for a cheap look, IMHO. Just my opinion...

I agree somewhat. If you're doing it with dark, clean denim, or denim you've destroyed yourself through natural wear, it can look good. If you're doing it with pre-distressed denim, it will probably look bad.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bloke sat next to me on a plane a few weeks ago. Late thirties/early forties. Yellow OCBD open neck, lightweight tweed SC, Rolex, loafers ... And ridiculous pre distressed jeans with ladders of warp (or is it weft?) only from knee to crotch. Fashion victim extraordinaire.

Mind NOBD does the SC and jeans very well so it can be done right. I don't recall his jeans having rips and holes in them.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not? I do it, fwiw. But if you're uncertain then it's better not to risk it, as it does require a bit of confidence as a look.

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
Confidence is really not the issue, I usually do pull of stunts and do it well! But I was just wondering whether it was a no-no for the sartorial fashion elitists on style Forum.

Shoe fetishisisisist

Reaction score
If you like it and think it looks good, wear it, if not don't, or do you dress purely to satisfy the people here on the forum?

I wear a SC with denim sometimes and i like it, obviously certain jeans go with certain colour jackets. Wear what you want, others my disapprove but style is subjective, it's your style so **** the naysayers.

Simplez.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
Confidence is really not the issue, I usually do pull of stunts and do it well! But I was just wondering whether it was a no-no for the sartorial fashion elitists on style Forum.
People seek out approval from SF consensus as if it's some sort of golden idol to be worshipped on bended knee. There is, without a doubt, a lot of great advice to be had here. And there are certainly some time-honored rules of classic dress if that's what you're after. But those rules aren't the final word on dressing stylishly. They're just some traditional rules and methods for dressing stylishly within a certain mode of dress. Many of those rules predate the existence of jeans as acceptable casual wear for anyone but lower-class workers. Obviously, jeans have long since transcended their sartorial birthplace. Jeans have become a ubiquitous fact of life in modern casual dress, and I would argue that any rules which disregard them entirely are out of date. Pairing a jacket with jeans is not Classic SF Approved, no. But it's a combination that can certainly look cool, confident, young, and modern under the right circumstances. Examples can even be found on SF on the WAYWRN thread. Check out the various jeans-inclusive looks of folks like UrbanComposition and NYRanger, for example.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Also i forgot to mention that age is also important factor,i pull it off because I'm 18 and well compared to what are younger generation wearing today it can even be considered as formal and overdressed among them,the key is to not give a damn and wear what you enjoy and want to wear.So if you feel good in jeans and blazer do it.

nuha

Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nuha
shop for championship gear, shop ECAC, HOCKEY EAST, AND WACHA TOURNAMENT GEAR.
SHOP ALSO FOR College Departments: Hockey Jerseys | T-Shirts | Sweatshirts | Hats on http://shop.uscho.com/Default.aspx?errorCode=5.
shop for championship gear, shop ECAC, HOCKEY EAST, AND WACHA TOURNAMENT GEAR. SHOP ALSO FOR College Departments: Hockey Jerseys | T-Shirts | Sweatshirts | Hats on http://shop.uscho.com/Default.aspx?errorCode=5.

I'll buy ECAC gear from you if you can get Clarkson a berth in the NCAA tourney.

Seriously, college hockey spam? That's a new one.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not approve of OPs torn jeans.

Nor do I approve of spam.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well obviosuly it's traditionally unacceptable. But, for an confortable look with a travel jacket/sc, I think it looks fine. Especially if they're slim fit, and in darker blues. Just don't wear a ******* T-shirt underneath that jacket -.-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads