• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing tool/sport watches with suits?

CustomWorks

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about wearing tool/sport watches with either dress shirts or suits?

Or do you think this looks is not right, and is better with dress watches ect ect leather straps..

give you some examples..

rolex sub
rolex gmt
omega PO

on a side note, what do you guys think of rolexes and their workmanship, worth it?

csoukoulis

Reaction score
i think the watches (that style) you mentioned are perfectly acceptable and i wear mine with dress shirts/suits. Now i have some 50mm watches that i would say would be unacceptable with a suit. Only time ive done it is when i have had my sleeves rolled up and am wearing jeans.

bhall41

Reaction score
I think it's acceptable although I stiill prefer to wear a dress watch with a suit. Tool or sports watches generally look better with casual clothes IMO. Only James Bond can get away with wearing a diving watch with black tie.
smile.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I don't see a problem...

If you look fit and active, why not! I am not implying you need to dive to wear a dive watch though

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
I don't see a problem...

If you look fit and active, why not! I am not implying you need to dive to wear a dive watch though

Hahaha very interesting, I would say go with that fits you and you feel comfortable in.

EuroCyclist

Reaction score
i think any $5000 watch is worthy of wearing with a suit. if you're going to only own one watch make it a sporty rollie.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my Rolex sport models with everything. The Datejust does the best job, but any other works. I not not a huge fan a thin watches on leather straps for dress.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer this Omega Railmaster -- a dress watch on a strap and sports watch on a bracelet.

railmaster.gif

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the default where i work is a sub/PO on metal bracelet with a suit. i always think it looks wrong. hardly anyone else seems to share this view though.

CustomWorks

Reaction score
^^
why do u think it's wrong? Is it because the watch itself is too sporty, or do you feel leather bands are better for suits compared to SS.

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
If it is a suit, it must be a simple watch on a leather strap My go to watch's for this are a gold Girard Perregaux Gyromatic on a brown crocodile strap, and a silver Omega Constellation Pie Pan on a black crocodile strap.

If I'm just in a sport coat and slacks, I will were a bracelet. My Rolex Air King no date see's a lot of wrist action in this way.

When I see a man in a suit with a bracelet, the first thing's that come to mind is that he:

Doesn't have another watch or strap
Is on a trip and this is just more practical
Is just trying to show off that his watch cost more then a lot of folk's first car
Or most common, he just thinks it's a watch and just doesn't care

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads