1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing this overcoat directly over shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by canadianman, Dec 7, 2015.

1. canadianman

canadianman Member

I got this Strellson Matcher "overcoat" on sale recently. It's supposed to be worn over a jacket, but the West Coast weather never gets that cold so I'm thinking just to wear this over a shirt.

Do you think this coat is casual enough that it can be worn directly over a shirt? The two pictures I found doesn't seem to have the model wearing a blazer/suit underneath.

Your opinions appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. canadianman

canadianman Member

thoughts, anyone?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  3. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Well-Known Member

4. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

5. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Not sure what is worse -- top coat without a jacket or belt loops without a belt.

6. canadianman

canadianman Member

One yes and two no's so far.

Since this coat is not as formal as normal top coats, maybe I can get away with it?

7. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

You can wear it just fine. I wear an overcoat with a dress shirt and a sweater all the time.

That said, I am not huge fan of the coat itself. It seems like some sort of shortened overcoat/trench coat hybrid that doesn't really "work" in my eyes. I think you would be better off buying a either an overcoat or trench coat. If you want something shorter, I'd get a peacoat.

1 person likes this.
  8. canadianman

canadianman Member

Thanks Gauss17, I already have a traditional looking overcoat, but not something more casual/hip. So this is my attempt to add something a bit stylistic to my wardrobe.

Any one else has thoughts on the styling of this coat? Does it work for you? Unique and hip? Or just neither here nor there?

9. syss

syss Active Member

I'm with gauss here - the styling on this one is a bit strange

10. AriG

AriG Senior member

Not for me but perfectly fine. I see tons of shit that's ten times worse every day. You are fine if it fits well. Of course it is going to get bashed here though .. Don't worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  11. canadianman

canadianman Member

Thanks, AriG. I'm new here, care to explain why this is certainly bashed here?

12. AriG

AriG Senior member

Well, it is more casual/young. Short, not really classic or traditional and so on. And that's true, but that doesn't make it bad necessarily. Because of that, I think you're ok wearing it with a shirt alone, provided it's not oversized (for a jacket) to begin with.

1 person likes this.
  13. Boyd

Boyd Senior member

Yes, totally, I think is a casual overcoat, you can wear this with a shirt . I dont think it would work very well with a jacket

1 person likes this.
  14. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Well-Known Member

I already voted yes. But I will add that this doesn't really look like an overcoat to me. Looks more like a trench coat or rain slicker. I don't see why you couldn't wear it with just a shirt. It is clearly casual enough (length, epaulets, material?). I think sometimes the forum here looks for any excuse to impose a fashion "rule". This one is a bit of a stretch.

1 person likes this.
  15. canadianman

canadianman Member

Thanks again for your explanation, AriG

16. LGHT

LGHT Senior member

I actually like the look and wear over coats without jackets often because the weather rarely gets cold enough to wear both in So. Cal. BTW it's a nice toasty 78 degrees today ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. canadianman

canadianman Member

Lucky you to have that kind of weather this time of year :)

1 person likes this.
  18. LGHT

LGHT Senior member

Tell me about it. A few weeks ago I went surfing during the day in a light 3mm full suit and drove up to do some snowboarding that night before hitting Vegas the next day.

1 person likes this.