1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing suits without ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Poloboy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. cruizer

cruizer Active Member

this is just wrong.

2. Alphataru

Alphataru Senior member

That's the exact opposite of what I think. I never see bus drivers in suits. Waiters with strict dress codes generally wear a vest. Software engineers normally wear polos or shirts with no blazers. I think you're stretching a little.

Suit and a tie is probably the closest thing you can get to uniform short of actually wearing uniforms.

3. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

Shirt with tie but no coat is only wrong because you can't assess the fit of the coat. Period. Be honest at least with yourself.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Right suit w/o a tie can be done. Tie w/o a jacket CAN'T!

5. herfitup

herfitup Well-Known Member

I'm a software guy that deals a lot with legal firms. I can't imagine wearing suit with a tie anymore for business. Most lawyers don't wear suits in the office unless they are going to court. I feel over dressed everytime I wear a suit to their office nevemind with a tie. Mostly I just wear a sports coat without a tie.

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

I agree. Even politicians and corporate CEOs are committing this " Fashion"
    A sport coat without a tie usually looks OK, but a dark business suit with a
    dress shirt and no tie looks like the wearer hadn't finished dressing, IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  7. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Well I guess it depends on what country you live in. Bus drivers around here wear slacks/shirt/tie, same for waiters, and I've seen many software engineers wearing a short sleeved shirt with a tie.

8. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

His clothes make him look like a tosser but he's got a nice bird so he must be doing something right.

The only time a wool suit should be worn without a tie or suitable shirt is when you lend it to a woman to keep warm.

9. Alphataru

Alphataru Senior member

Well, he probably don't call women birds, so perhaps you can start there.

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I don't think a tie will keep her very warm. :crazy:
    [​IMG]
    Better than nothing though, I suppose.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I've seen bus drivers wearing suits in the UK, but these where company uniform with the First Bus logo on the breast pocket, along with a First Bus shirt and a First Bus tie. Bus drivers where I am, usually wear anything they like.

Yeh, that's usually what I'd expect a waiter to be wearing anyway. If the waiters wore regular suits in a restaurant, well it could cause confusion. I see someone in a vest, "waiter" would probably be the first thought.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  12. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

I don't like shirts open with suits but if you're not wearing a tie then wear a Smedley Mock turtleneck. It's the same height as a regular shirt and will look neat. Although you may look like a villian in a James Bond film [​IMG]

13. williamson

williamson Senior member

UTTER NONSENSE! The reverse is the case.

14. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Take away the dudes and she looks hot.

15. Sir Humphrey Appleby

What would you rather me call them?

16. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

But I thought I was doing sprezzatura!

I wear a casual summer suit without a tie and unbuttoned shirt on a hot day.
    I wear an odd jacket without a tie and unbuttoned shirt as much as with a tie.
    I try very hard not to wear a tie without also wearing a jacket. Sitting at a desk doesn't count.

17. GBR

GBR Senior member

Quite acceptable in informal circumstances.

18. Mr Knightly

Mr Knightly Member

I suspect one reason the look is so common is that many men don't own odd jackets. One might need suits for work, and one might have invested in some quality pieces, but men are less likely to drop real coin on cocktail party clothing. They're, obviously missing out, but I won't go so far as to say that suits without ties are wrong. Suits without ties have a place. As noted earlier, summer suits in poplin and linen can look quite nice without a tie. I often remember seeing this look at open houses for high school graduations. A wool suit can also work at places like jazz clubs, where only a minority of the patrons will have jackets to begin with.

As far as pulling off the look, once you've selected an appropriate setting, these would be my guidelines:

- The suit should have a slimmer, contemporary cut. I have a very nice MTM Golden Fleece sack suit, but it's the last suit I'd ever wear tieless. It looks like too much of a work suit.

- Steer clear of midnight navy and charcoal. Ligher blues and greys keep the outfit from looking too severe. The idea of wearing a suit sans tie is to convey casual sophistication. A nearly black suit would undermine that effect.

- Shirts should be solid blue or white, and suits should be solid or have a VERY subtle pattern. Some may disagree about this, but my feeling is that you've already decided to match your trousers and jacket, and to forgo the most interesting accessory that one wears with a suit--the tie. At this point, one shouldn't get cold feet. Go all the way, and embrace total simplicity.

- It goes without saying that the shirt collar needs to stand up properly.

19. Jfm09

Jfm09 New Member

You are dead on Sir. This is the worst look I have ever seen. It has gotten so much worse since this last post. The tie differentiates a mans look from another. All I see in the city is a bunch of the same no style morons walking around. Be a man and wear the damn tie. What's with these skinny slim suits too? Complete generation of assholes. Another thing, take a fucking look in the mirror before you leave in the morning.If you can see your fucking socks when you look down, guess what asshole? Time for a new suit, pants have shrunk. Dicks walking around with the pants halfway up to their knees. Douchebags

20. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

It only looks good stumbling out of a bar or brothel at 3am in the morning - and the tie should just be loosened.

Otherwise, ich don't think so.

1 person likes this.