1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing suits without ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Poloboy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Poloboy

Poloboy Well-Known Member

Who else thinks that wearing a suit without a tie is just wrong.

It may be the current "fashion", but it shows a definite lack of style.

The majority of people wear a shirt unbuttoned, and it just falls under the jacket
    Lapels and looks sloppy.

I guess people have no idea how stupid they really look.

Your thoughts.

2. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Seems very English to me. I think a suit without a tie looks better than a tie without a jacket.

1 person likes this.
  3. Alphataru

Alphataru Senior member

Haha, then don't venture in SW&D, you'd have a heart attack seeing blazer with jeans and suit with t shirts.

[​IMG]

<3

4. Poloboy

Poloboy Well-Known Member

Excellent example of a guy that looks ridiculous

5. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Look, dood, if you don't like it, don't do it, but don't write a post like this; it's unwarranted.

6. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

it's called the Ahmadinejad. I absolutely don't mind it and it can look nice.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  7. JonasAberg

JonasAberg Well-Known Member

I think it's all about context and occasion. A suit with no tie is significantly more casual but still pretty dressed up and there are occasions that call for that IMHO. And if you wear a pocket square it looks like you HAVE paid attention and less like you don't own a tie to begin with or just forgot it altogether. It's not a favorite look of mine but I do "get it".

Then of course there are summer suits in linen which I feel don't call for a tie as much, if at all.

8. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

If it makes you feel good then that's all that matters. Fuck what other people think. Go with the flow.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

A linen suit (or any other casual suit for that matter) looks great without a tie. But yes, a tie without a jacket is indeed an aberration. I was thinking about this today because I've seen so many jacketless suits (with a tie) on my commute [​IMG]

11. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

As they say..... YOLO

12. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

Clooney does it and does it well.

13. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Suit without tie looks ok when shirt has a bit of spread collar and the collar is stiff enough so i stays in place even without a tie. I have lately discovered PRL regent shirts works well for me when without a tie.

14. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

If you're going to go tieless, I think it also helps to wear a patterned shirt. To me, a solid white or blue shirt just makes it look like the wearer forgot his tie. George Clooney and Tom Ford are exempted from this rule.

15. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

16. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I'm wearing a suit without a tie today. But it's a summer-weight unlined tan poplin suit, so it's a little more casual. I don't think I would wear a regular wool suit without a tie, although I will frequently wear a sport jacket with slacks and no tie.

17. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

The offense here is the extra long sleeves on coat. His publicist needs to get on the ball. I'm already making the assumption he doesn't know any better......

18. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

I do. But some people can get away with it. It's not exactly against the law.

19. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I don't do it, but what's the huge faux pas with a tie and no jacket/blazer? If the shirt fits well and the tie is the correct length I've never really thought to myself that it looked bad.

20. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

It doesn't look bad if you're a software engineer / waiter / bus driver... [​IMG]

Now, really, I don't know what does exactly make it bad. But it just looks like something's missing, or like a work uniform.