• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing shoes inside the house?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem removing my shoes when it is the custom of a home I'm visiting; but it's rare around me.

I've been taken aback before when caught unprepared, wearing Sperry's sockless, that is.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear shoes in my place and I always take them off when I go to someone else's, but when it's a party at someone's place I wish I could keep them on because to me they are part of the outfit, a jacket and tie with socks looks funny to me. Despite this, I always take them off because I know its polite and much cleaner.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think it is a regional thing as well. I went to visit my niece and nephew at their school in a smaller town in Manitoba,Canada and was shocked to see all the kids in stocking feet and a long line of shoes near the front door. In OK, I got detention several times for slipping my shoes off in class (a fire hazard).

As a rule I try to always remove my shoes,hat,gloves,scarf.... anything meant to be worn outside when I enter another persons home. I tend to not care in my apartment unless it has rained or there is snow on the ground. I own a vacuum, don't have pets, and eat at the table/couch ... so most of the aforementioned issues with shoes on carpet or of no consequence to me.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I don't wear shoes in my place and I always take them off when I go to someone else's, but when it's a party at someone's place I wish I could keep them on because to me they are part of the outfit, a jacket and tie with socks looks funny to me. Despite this, I always take them off because I know its polite and much cleaner.
Yeah, removing your shoes at house parties is weird. Not sure the optimal way to get around this. If you have a deck or nice yard and the weather is nice, you can keep everyone outside mainly I guess. Maybe buy in bulk some cheap slippers for everyone to wear. Naturally, everyone should have a job at these little get-togethers. My job was always watching the fish tank to make sure people don't tap on the glass.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't wear shoes inside the house. I was raised to take my shoes off in the house and I've continued that tradition in my own house. I get annoyed when other people come into my house and don't take their shoes off.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least within New Jersey, the only homes that I've visited with a "no-shoes" policy have been sterile McMansions with tacky light-coloured carpeting.

M.D.

Reaction score
We don't wear shoes outside, but I have a pair of driving shoes that are solely used as a slipper. It's like that for most of the people in our region (Belgium). When you visit someone, unless youhave very dirty shoes, you don't usual take of your shoes. When I was in secundary school (12-18yo), I was at a school where slippers were obligaory during class. During recess you put your normal shoes on, and you had to change them every time you entered a school buidling.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
asian. shoes always off at home. in my apartment, i have that industrial type of carpeting like they have in office buildings.....so i don't bother taking my shoes off.

juniper

Reaction score
I don't and wasn't bought up to.

On the rare occasions someone asks me to take my shoes off when I'm in their house, it annoys me. I know it's their house so they can do what they want - but telling someone what to do the moment they walk through your front door seems a little unhostlike to me.

At least within New Jersey, the only homes that I've visited with a "no-shoes" policy have been sterile McMansions with tacky light-coloured carpeting.
Yeah - correlation between "no-shoes" policy, inane conversation and rooms without books quite strong here too.

Of course, all this might be opposite in another country.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro

Pretty much every home I've ever been to in NJ has been "no shoes" and I've never been inside a McMansion. Of course, most of these homes are owned by people who are not native to the United States.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ever since I got my own new apartment with brand new carpet, I've been completely, 100% against wearing shoes in the house, at any time. It's filthy and I always take my shoes off when I enter anyone's house. The only exception is in hotel rooms.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't care either way, but I do say that keeping the shoes on gives one a better look.

I feel the same way about smoking indoors.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate people that don't take their shoes off at the door. I especially hate people that wear shoes in areas i will be walking barefoot, like the bathroom. I took me forever to get rid of that plantar wart and i'm convinced it was from something someone brought in on the bottom of their filthy shoes.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My roommate would like me to remove my shoes in our apartment. I told him I would do so as soon as he stopped pissing all over the bathroom floor.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads