• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing shoes bigger than your size (weird?)

seattlefromson

Reaction score
I bought a beautiful pair of Mezlan shoes for $38, oxfords, cap toe, from a friend. Shoes are pictured. These usually go for over $150 on eBay and I thought: why not? They are almost new.

The problem:

I am size 10, the Mezlan shoes are size 11, but, surprisingly, the shoes fit very well. My feet also feel super comfortable. I have no complaints about how my feet feel inside the shoes.

Aesthetically, though, I wonder if it looks weird wearing shoes that obviously make my feet look longer than they are. Any thoughts? I am 5"7, wide shoulders, muscular.

Unrelated, but I do have complaints about a pair of Karl Lagerfeld shoes that I bought: not only the Lagerfeld shoes gave me blisters, but thanks to them I injured a toenail. They are my size, 10.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

IMG_3101.jpg

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long ad there isn't a gap in the heel, it will look fine.

seattlefromson

Reaction score
IMG_3103.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG

Here is a comparison. The Mezlan shoes are in the middle.

There is no gap in the heel, there is a gap between my toes and the toe cap.

I am a bit sad and considering returning the shoes, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having space between your toes and the end of the shoes isn't a problem for dress shoes -- that's really the only way a shoe with a sleek toe will fit unless you have very narrow feet. Compare your Mezlans to the other two shoes in your picture with rounded toes. It's really up to you whether you find the extended length excessive.

That being said, are you sure you know your correct size? What is your foot width? I wonder whether you had to size up with the Mezlans because the shoes are narrow for your feet?

seattlefromson

Reaction score
My feet are 5 inches (width) by 10 inches (measuring from heel to toes).

There are 2 inches between my toes and the toe cap (see the photo).

My significant other says the shoes are too big for me and I am conscious because I myself am a designer and I love proportion. But... I also love shoes with excellent craftsmanship.

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have your feet properly measured, not with a tape measure but with a Brannock or other device. Try a good specialty shoe store like an Allen Edmonds.
Again, there is nothing wrong with a gap at the toes of your shoes if the heels don’t slip. That being said, return the shoes if you don’t feel comfortable wearing them for aesthetic reasons.

Last edited:

seattlefromson

Reaction score
Thank you for replying to this thread.

I am thinking...

the shoes fit me perfectly, I can walk with them without feeling any pain, and they are the same size as my Karl Lagerfeld chelsea boots (the boots are size 10).

FullSizeRender.jpg

seattlefromson

Reaction score
Decision taken:
  • I am an active man.
  • I sometimes walk a lot around the city.
  • I sometimes have to run to catch the bus.
  • ...and I also have to dress formally to work... or to family events that do not require formal attire (but I still like to look elegant).
  • Or to go to the store.
A while ago, I bought a pair of Karl Lagerfeld leather sneakers (assuming that they were comfortable; size 10, my size, allegedly), but I was wrong. While walking around the city, in a hurry, I hit my right foot in something and injured my toenail. This is a size 10 sneaker, but the size 10 doesn't give much space for my toes to breathe. And sizes 10.5 and 11 looked made my feet look big.

I would not dare to wear my John Galliano shoes, my Saks Fifth Ave made in Italy shoes to go to work, or any shoes from my special collection of shoes. Just imagine running to catch the bus... and damaging them. :crazy:

I cannot wear my Karl Lagerfeld sneakers or chelsea boots because they are somewhat delicate and, as I said, I think the leather sneakers injured my toenail. By the way, the Mezlan shoes have exactly the same size as my Karl Lagerfeld chelsea boots (which are size 10).

The Mezlan shoes: they feel amazing, they fit perfectly; when it comes to comfortability; that is, there is absolutely no gap at the heel, and my toes have room to breathe (meaning I do not think I would injure my toenail or get blisters). Plus, the shoes look amazing with my Oscar de la Renta suit. With a trench coat over the suit. :fistbump:

The verdict: I am keeping these bad boys.

I will do everything I possibly can to not damage them.

• I will learn how to love them,
  • wax them every two weeks,
  • apply shoe cream,
  • lotion...
  • and I think they will last forever.
  • The outersoles worry me because they are leather, but I will find ways to keep them in good shape.

I asked someone their opinion on the shoes and they said: "hm, they look big." But then I thought: Of all shoes I have, these are the most comfortable ones... and style has to feel comfortable. I, personally, don't get women who wear Louboutin; those shoes and heels hurt the feet and so many women complain about them.

And, really, I am privileged to be having this discussion here. 10 years ago or so all I could afford were Walmart boots, $20, the cheapest one, the one that kept my feet dry from the rain and the snow.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who so thoughtfully replied to this thread.

Thank you!

And kindly forgive the cat fur on my pants (I am at home) :bigstar:

IMG_3109.JPG

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing hard and fast about shoe sizes. What fits you well can vary according to the last and other factors. If the shoes "fit very well" and are "super comfortable," then they are "your" size! Enjoy them and don't fret about it.

Anachronist

Reaction score
If it provides some confirmation of your decision: the way the shoes appear to hug your foot around the ball area looks like they fit quite well. Plus, Mezlan make fashion forward shoes with sleek elongated lasts that require length to fit so this perceptibly longer toe box is how they are meant to look. Based on your description of your other shoes, you may find your true sizes to be more like a 10.5 when measured. However, as said above, measured shoe size is just a guideline and actual shoe size will depend on the last and therefore should be chosen based on comfort. A helpful shop keeper at the Edward Green Store in London explained a good fitting shoe as firmly hugging in the arch without constraining, a bit of wiggle room for the toes and there should be no slippage in the heel area at all. A perfect fitting pair will virtually cause a sound of air being sucked into the shoe, when you take them off.

In any case, enjoy your Mezlan shoes and wear them in good health!

Anachronist

Reaction score
I’d say, those fit perfectly as well... at least to the trousers :crackup:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you feel more comfortable, why would it matter? I wear anything from 11.5-13 given brands.

Your feet aren't meant to touch the toe of the shoe in dress shoes. Otherwise we would all be wearing square toed monstrosities.

Your shoes look great. Wear them.

Also, if your shoes are so delicate that you can't wear them in normal city conditions, or can't tolerate a small sprint, I'd not be suspicious over their quality. Yes, we aren't meant to go running a marathon in dress shoes, but there is no reason why you cannot (in well broken in shoes) sprint for the bus.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
I'm a 9.5 EEE per the Brannock and have in the past worn up to 10.5 E sized shoes in order to accommodate the width when they weren't available in a EEE. For some shoes it worked fine; for others (looking at you sperry topsiders) I found the shoe extending past my toes caused me to catch the front of the shoe on stairs, curbs, the street while walking which was unacceptable. I think if you don't have that problem in these shoes and you are happy with how they look on you you have your answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads