Wearing pinstripe suit pants as slacks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shqiptar, Feb 18, 2005.

1. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

I'm about to give a medium grey pinstripe suit (thin light blue stripes) to charity, but it's the pants that I would like to use as slacks. I would like to wear them with a turtleneck or pollo wool sweater, top coat, dress shoes for winter weather like today. What do you forumistas think?

2. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I don't know what the rules say, but I do it all the time. I have a pair of black trousers with lt. blue pinstripes that I like to wear with a baby blue cashmere sweater. It looks very nice, and I wear it to the office on casual fridays. I frequently wear pinstriped suit pants as trousers or slacks and find they work well. But, my fashion sense is not extremely "top notch", so take my words with a grain of salt.

3. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

If this were a poll, I would vote no.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I do it -- very fine pinstripes though that blend in almost seemlessly with the fabric.

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

I do no like = it makes black dealer

6. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Generally, I wouldn't wear a pinstripe trouser (sans coat) with a sweater as a sports outfit.

It will look odd. You will look like either the absent-minded professor who was unaware that he was breaking-u the suit or the type of person who picks-up odds and ends at the thrift store.

7. crs

crs Member

The thing that's always kept me from doing it is, don't the trousers wear out faster than the jacket anyway? If so, wouldn't giving the trousers extra use speed this process?

8. boston

boston Senior member

I think pinstripe pants are fine to wear as slacks. I do it all the time -- usually with a plain navy or grey sweater.

-boston

9. stache

stache Senior member

10. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(shqiptar @ Feb. 18 2005,04:16) I'm about to give a medium grey pinstripe suit (thin light blue stripes) to charity, but it's the pants that I would like to use as slacks. I would like to wear them with a turtleneck or pollo wool sweater, top coat, dress shoes for winter weather like today. What do you forumistas think?
    I do no like = it makes black dealer
    Wow, I'm really trying to figure out this statement... koji

11. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I have several odd Polo pinstripe trousers. I often wear the blue pair with a solid khaki button down shirt and the brown flanel pair with a button down blue chambray or denim shirt. Sure beats the business casual looks my coworkers come up with. [​IMG]

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have seen Apparel Arts drawings of guys wearing striped trousers with a shirt, tie and cardigan sweater. Â They look like they took of their matching coat, and put on a sweater for comfort. Â One shows a guy wearing such an ensemble to play golf. Â Can you imagine wearing a tie to play golf? Â There are even pictures of guys wearing ties to go fly-fishing. Â That's dedication to the form.