• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wearing penny loafers

ebikerblue

Reaction score
I am a guy who loves to wear dress Penny loafers sockless. I think they look hot with a dress shirt, chinos, jeans, and a blazer for a real dressy look. Any opinions?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Do you wear the chinos over the jeans or the jeans over the chinos?

Just kidding - I agree it's a good look!

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want Guapos! Prada in high gloss leather. Long vamp, totally in style and cool.

Anyone know where to get them in US/Canada/London?

jhao

Reaction score
I like them, actually i'm waiting to the sales time to buy ones, I like sockless in driving loafers but not in penny loafers.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the look, too. Similar to jhao, I tend to wear penny loafers with socks and driving shoes without.

pkincy

Reaction score
I love the sockless look for casual wear. (please use an insole to avoid ruining the shoes).

However I don't see it with the new high vamp styles of penny loafers. I like it with my ancient Cole Haan low vamp loafers but most of those are near dead because sockless wearing is pretty hard on the leather. I do have a pair of Polo Penny Loafers I snagged a couple of years ago on EBay that had little wear and are of the older low vamp style. Heck if you aren't wearing socks you should be able to tell it.

I don't think I will try it with my new Vass Penny Loafers. (see Shoe Appreciation thread).

Perry

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those going sockless, have any of you tried these? I know there's typically some vitriol associated with Johnston & Murphy on this forum...

ebikerblue

Reaction score
You know I have been wearing dress penny loafers sockless for a long time and never had a problem ruining my shoes. I think it just takes time for your feet to adjust to the shoe.

ebikerblue

Reaction score
Hey try looking at the latest GQ magazine- Page 164- Great dress loafers to wear sockless!!

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebikerblue
I am a guy who loves to wear dress Penny loafers sockless. I think they look hot with a dress shirt, chinos, jeans, and a blazer for a real dressy look. Any opinions?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by averbuks
Alden #984 in burgandy cordovan is by far the coolest Penny loafer ever.

http://www.aldenshoes.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=44

And that would make it the 986. But I agree.
986.jpg

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebikerblue
I am a guy who loves to wear dress Penny loafers sockless.
There's no such thing as a dress penny loafer.​

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads