Wearing No Undershirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by maybob, Nov 14, 2011.

1. maybob

maybob New Member

If you need or like to wear undershirts, this thread is not for you. After wearing undershirts for a long time, I realized that lots of people don't and decided to experiment. I discovered I liked the look and feel of no undershirt under my dress and sport shirts. I am careful not to wear shirts that are too thin, etc. It took a little getting used to, but I'd like to hear from others who've made a similar switch. How do you manage the small issues that may arise? Going with no undershirt has been a really enjoyable change for me.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

In the summer it would be OK for me, but our office is rather chilly at the moment. So it's either a thermal undershirt or an extra layered sweater, I prefer the former.

3. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

I'm a pretty skinny guy, so I like having the extra layer under not only to protect my more expensive shirts, but also to add a bit of bulk on to my frame.

4. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

I could not even imagine wearing an undershirt - especially in our overheated office I would feel like in a sauna.

5. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

No undershirt for me.

6. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

In olden times, I wore undershirts... Then I found undershirts to be ugly (especially under thin, white or slim fit shirts) and useless, until it's very cold (and for this purpose, my jacket is better than your undershirt).

Now I'm used to this "naked" sensation, I don't miss undershirts, I don't fear being cold, and I experienced no problems.

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I've rarely worn undershirts when wearing a dress shirt and tie.

However, I've recently discovered that the high tech fabric undershirts actually keep me cooler in the hot sticky middle east during summer. And they absorb any potentially embarrasing underarm moisture as well.

I know it's a bit contrary to what one might think. But they do work!

8. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

I wear them only if I'm wearing a particularly costly shirt over. Main reason is to avoid underarm stains; I've yet to find any aluminum-free deodorant.

9. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

Undershirts remind me of boxy Pierre Cardin jackets, polyester pants and tent-like shirts. Ah, youth.

10. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

I always find it creepy/disturbing when you're at a meeting and the guy next to you isn't wearing an undershirt, and you catch glimpses of a hairy body.

Seriously, if you sweat at all, an undershirt is required. Of course to each his own but it's like a belt to me -- you're not fully dressed for work in a professional environment if you're not wearing one.

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

What and odd first post.

Vests(Undershirts) are simply dreadful garments that offer few if any benefits save in the coldest of climes where they are merely another layer.

What "small issues" arise? If you are normal and shower daily, use an antiperspirant/deodorant then surely none arise?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

12. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

I never wear undershirts, nor do I find them even remotely necessary. They frequently show under light colored undershirts as well, which looks extremely tacky.

13. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Miami-->Land of ZERO undershirts (unless you're from the midwest)

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wore them for years, then stopped for a couple of years, then started wearing them again.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I rarely wear an undershirt underneath my casual shirts, however I always do with dress shirts. I'm not wearing one today and I hate it.