• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing my Barbour jacket with a suit

Draus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

over the last few months I grew very fond of the look of wearing a Barbour jacket over a suit (see example 1, example 2) and finally purchased a Barbour Ashby jacket. A few days ago it got cold enough to wear the combination for the first time and I noticed (to my despair) that I totally forgot about the secondary (inner) zipper of the Barbour jacket, which is used to zip in a vest for the colder months. Due to the angle of the secondary zippers they rub against the (lapels of the) jacket (see picture 1, picture 2) and since the Barbour zipper is pretty robust and big, it is far from smooth and has some rather sharp edges. I was lucky and only tore some threads on the inside of my suit jacket but it totally ruined my day none the less.

Now my question to you guys: Do you have experience with this problem and how did u solve it? My first solution was giving the Barbour to my tailor in order to cut out the inner zipper and hide the remaining plastic of the zipper in the cloth by sewing together the zipper ****. This solution keeps me from ever zipping in a vest – which is not a huge deal, but not optimal. Furthermore, the outer (main) zipper is made the same (sharp) way and does touch the jacket (although not as directly) too. My second impulse was to get some sandpaper and round out the sharp edges, but I do not see that working really well.

Thankful for every idea :)

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You said you were thankful for every idea, so I think you should strongly reconsider this combination. I don't think it looks good at all - whether or not you solve the zipper issue. I see you are from Germany and I'm in the U.S. so I recognize style choices may be different there. If you do decide to continue, hopefully someone can chime in with a work-around for your issue.

Draus

Reaction score
You said you were thankful for every idea, so I think you should strongly reconsider this combination. I don't think it looks good at all - whether or not you solve the zipper issue. I see you are from Germany and I'm in the U.S. so I recognize style choices may be different there. If you do decide to continue, hopefully someone can chime in with a work-around for your issue.

Thanks for commenting, John - obviously tastes always differ. But I would not post here if it was my desire to not wear it. So that is not really a solution for me.

Maljunulo

Reaction score
Why wear a suit if you are going to wear something like that over it? The effect is totally incongruous.

But I'm just a grouchy old fart.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wear a suit if you are going to wear something like that over it? The effect is totally incongruous.

But I'm just a grouchy old fart.

Amen to that. It is a total sartorial anomaly. It is rather like wearing outdoor boots with a suit or maybe a flannel lumberjack shirt with a suit and tie.

Reaction score
Do you have experience with this problem and how did u solve it? My first solution was giving the Barbour to my tailor in order to cut out the inner zipper and hide the remaining plastic of the zipper in the cloth by sewing together the zipper ****.

I think double-sided tapes are best friend for women... even better friend for you, my friend!!

Draus

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with wearing a Barbour over a suit, if the weather needs it, but I'm inclined to think that you're doing so with the wrong Barbour. The Ashby is a tailored, rather slim fitting jacket that isn't really designed to go over anything more than a shirt and pullover. A Beaufort, however, will go over anything, and will still look good whilst being loose enough not to damage anything worn underneath, like a suit.
https://www.barbour.com/Categories/Unisex/Barbour-Originals/Barbour-Beaufort®-Wax-Jacket/p/MWX0017SG9134

There is enough room inside. The problem is the angle.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this issue hasn't been resolved, buy an older jacket. No inner zips, as back in the day Barbour used poppers for their inner liners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads