1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Light-Colored Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Aug 16, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope Manton doesn't mind me using his fit to attempt to revive this thread:

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

almost all of the suits being matched with are navy/blue, is it much harder to match to grey/charcoal?

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Necro-bump, since this might qualify. The discussion in this thread was helpful background when I put this together. If anything, it demonstrates that a light tie is much easier with a dark jacket and striped tie that's actually lighter than the tie so that the tie becomes an intermediate color.

[​IMG]

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Interesting thread. TBH, I'm not sure I really like that outfit, Mr. Six. I think the jacket looks too dark for the tie. A lighter shade of brown would have looked better, imo.
    In general, when wearing a light tie, I prefer a low contrast look with a light or medium shade jacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed.

I don't have many light ties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And maybe
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  6. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

It's always interesting how people's perceptions differ. In your first photo, the value difference between your tie and jacket seem about the same to me as the difference between my tie and jacket. I think your second photo demonstrates the peril described in unbel's first post in this thread of light shirt + light tie + light jacket. I like the first combo quite a bit though.

7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Interesting indeed... The contrast in the first photo looks stronger than it is, the suit is a bit lighter IRL. But I suspect this may also be the case with your jacket? That's the famouse tobacco frsco, isn't it?
    Funny how you prefer the first outfit over the second one, since I'm quite content with that one in that it's a bit harder to make it work compared to the first one. Unbel's light, low contrast fit in the OP suffers by comparison from a tie that is too light and lacks visual interest IMO. As you say, perceptions differ... [​IMG]