1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Light-Colored Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

At risk of bumping a thread people have now lost interest in, I'm continuing to try light tie combinations this week. Today, following the advice of someone who recently suggested using a striped shirt with light ties. Can't remember who it was, to credit them, but here's my go following their advice:

[​IMG]

As a more general point, I'm finding that it seems easier to use light ties with odd jackets than suits. I'm not sure whether this is down to the more informal look of light ties, or it simply reflects the type of odd jackets/suits I have in my personal wardrobe. Anyone else notice this?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm still interested, HF! Thanks for keeping us going here. This one doesn't really work for me. Manton will spank you for a grey odd jacket and navy odd trousers. To me the herringbone weave and the shininess of the tie don't work well together. In fact, I'm not sure if I have interest in any shiny light ties at all. But I'll admit that my interest in shiny ties of any sort is quite low. But as I said earlier, I think texture on a light tie is particularly important, as the variation in color gives interest to grab the eye to take the place of the lack of color.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll ever be on board with the idea that navy odd trousers or grey odd jackets are somehow impractical. Non-traditional, maybe (though I can't believe that even a traditionalist like Manton would disapprove a - for sake of argument I'll pick something ultra-conservative to cite - a Harris tweed grey jacket). The one caveat I have with them is that the fabrics and items shouldn't look like part of a suit. Here the jacket isn't remotely like part of a suit, given the weave, fabric & buttons, and the trousers are equally non-suity being a brushed cotton. So yeah, I'm not fussed about that aspect.

Regarding the tie's sheen, I should probably note that the jacket also has a (very) little sheen as it has some silk in the blend. The full-length pic I think highlights that jacket sheen quite well and you can see it echo the tie a bit better. Of course, that may lower your affection for the outfit as a whole, if you don't like slightly shiny ties! But on the point of colour variegation, it's worth mentioning that sheen can actually create such variegation. For example, look at the close-up pic; the tie certainly doesn't look like one solid colour there. I think I get what you mean re: your preference, but I'm not sure it's not lack of colour variation that you dislike about ties with a sheen but more a visual dryness/wetness thing, perhaps?

Anyway, good to have the discussion flowing again in this thread. More pics to discuss would be great!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  4. unbelragazzo

^Manton might agree with you about this particular grey odd jacket and odd trousers. I think there was some exception made for tweed.

I think I expressed myself poorly about the color variation. In your tie, there's clearly variation, but it's in kind of broad blocks rather than variation within a given square centimeter. Maybe it's a wetness thing, I don't know. But I feel like texture helps with the sense that there's a real thing there, not just empty space, which is a danger with a light tie.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

yfyf used to have some fantastic lighter tie combinations.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pale linen tie with what looks like a heavy tweedy cloth? Not feeling that at all.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Think it may possibly be one of those jersey-material jackets rather than tweed? Not saying that's an improvement, mind you.

Regarding colours though, it's ok IMO, but the lack of shirt/tie contrast makes it look a bit glum. Also, don't like that square with this tie.

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, looking again, I think you're right. Still an odd pairing. To have such a cheerful tie, the overall effect is anything but.

9. unbelragazzo

To be clear, I'm just basically posting any light tie images and hoping for discussion, my posting something does not constitute an endorsement. Gdl posted one in the good taste thread recently that I thought was pretty nice.

10. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Light tie/dark suit today. The square looks all wrong now that I see it in a picture. And I did push it down before I left the house...

[​IMG]

11. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

I don't know if it's the exposure on the photo or what, but this is just too monochromatic for my taste.

12. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

It was intentional. I like to think of it as a limited pallet. Perhaps the pale orange tie and blue shirt I had on originally would have been better.

The good thing about clothes is that we get new chances to experiment every day.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

14. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

15. morrison13

morrison13 Well-Known Member

These are really good. Nicely done.

16. unbelragazzo

HF,
    The pocket square stands out a little too much for me in this one. I'd be curious to see the effect of a light blue shirt instead of white, and a lighter shade of trouser.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  17. unbelragazzo

glad - I kind of like #1. I hope that's a light blue shirt. 2 and 3 I'm not really feeling, and I'm not sure they're light ties.

We should maybe try to define what a light tie is. I don't think it's just a light color, but also something pale. Even though glad's #2 is orangish-yellow, it's kind of a bright yellow that I wouldn't call "light". Don't know if I'm making any sense.

On the two pics I posted, from PJ and macaroni, I like the PJ one better. Highlights the virtue of texture in a pale tie IMHO.

18. unbelragazzo

19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alright. So dumb question. But isn't a yellow/golden tie with a light blue shirt and dark navy or grey suit a standard? Is that hackneyed or am I just incredibly ill informed? I live in Seoul, and the stuff I see people wear everyday would make your eyes bleed, so I have a hard time getting perspective on certain things.