Wearing Knit Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whiskeylaureate, Dec 2, 2008.

1. whiskeylaureate

whiskeylaureate Senior member

I just ordered a knit tie (it hasn't arrived, yet), and I wanted to hear some opinions. I was thinking of wearing it to a suit/tie event with a cut-away collared shirt. But, I'm wondering: will I be able to tie a thick enough knot to make it work?

Also, are there any other guidelines for wearing these? (types of knots to use, casual vs. formal, etc.)

Thanks.

2. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Casual.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I've always been of the opinion that knit ties are less formal and therefore fit into the realm of being matched up with odd jackets, button-down collars, and the such. A cut-away collared shirt might be a tough go.

Knit ties are generally much thicker than regular ties, as such I'd just stick with a FIH knot. Any more knot than that and you'll wind up with a silk softball underneath your neck.

4. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

I wear knit ties with cutaway collars all the time. I not only think it looks great, but I get plenty of complements as well. As a rule, knit ties are generally less formal, etc etc. But rules like that are made to be broken.

5. whiskeylaureate

whiskeylaureate Senior member

Any chance you could post a pic of the cut-away/knit combo? I'm interested to see how it fills out the collar. (yes, I could wait until it arrives, but I'm impatient)

I was thinking that it would be an interesting cross of formal and casual, but not quite sure if I'd be crossing the line to goofy. It's my girlfriend's x-mas party which has been downgraded to the local PF Chang's this year; I'd say that's a strange juxtaposition of formal and casual as well. Oh, the economy...

Four-in-hand--that's what I was guessing, but I'm glad to hear you confirm.

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

The thing is, the vast majority of people don't even know what knit ties are, let alone the appropriate time to wear them.

With that said, I only wear knit ties in a casual setting.

7. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

I wear knit ties with my suits even for the most formal of meetings.. Like today with a navy beaded suit.
    & no one has ever said anything bad..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Senior member

Knit ties are one the things this forum has typically over-analysed to the point where one can be forgiven for forgetting that the outside world doesn't care as much about clothes as we do. As PG points out so succinctly , you can wear knit ties every day and nobody will comment negatively on them.

Given my own experience with them, I can assure you that most in fact will be mesmerised by the sheer novelty of them. Even in formal environments, few would detect that a knit tie is less formal than a woven tie. The real world doesn't care about these things.

Also, the novelty factor attracts interest. People like to touch them. they start talking to you. You take them home. This works, I assure you.

9. dinted voice

dinted voice Senior member

+1 to PG's comment. Check it out in the WAYWT thread. Really like the combo, especially with the suede shoes.

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I've never possessed a knitted tie, but I'm quickly coming round to the idea...

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think knits look weird with any knot bulkier than a FIH. At least the skinny ones do.

12. adamsnez

adamsnez Senior member

FIH FTW w/ knits.

i much prefer knits over silks

13. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Are we talking about knit ties with a traditional blade at the end or the squared-off ties (which I think are more informal but do not raise eyebrows in this day and age)? [​IMG]

14. awxg

awxg Senior member

Are we talking about knit ties with a traditional blade at the end or the squared-off ties (which I think are more informal but do not raise eyebrows in this day and age)? [​IMG]

I'm also interested in this especially with Phat Guido's knits. They look fantastic.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Knit cashmere Marinella in a Borrelli spread collar shirt, silk Oxxford jacket:

[​IMG]

FIH, of course.

- B