• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing full suit during summer

JamesBond08

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to open a conversation about wearing full suit combination during summer, especially during hot weather. No matter whether you wear the suits because of work, some other reasons or simply because you enjoy doing it, my question would be: do you enjoy wearing suits in summer or it's kind of annoying thing for you?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it!
Many people on here love the autumn and winter as it gives them the chance to layer up and add accessories like gloves, scarfs, hats, etc.
I can’t be arsed with all that. Love the brighter colours and lighter fabrics of summer. I’m usually moving between house, car, airport, car, hotel, hospital etc all of which have a/c so I don’t have to endure much time slogging it out in heat and humidity.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the issue? I enjoy wearing a suit at any time of year. As an example, here's a picture of a couple of guys in Florence recently, wearing suits in 90 degree warmth...
IMG_2489.jpg

It's true that the guy on the left looks considerably cooler than the guy on the right, but that's the risk you take standing next to Guillaume.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the issue? I enjoy wearing a suit at any time of year. As an example, here's a picture of a couple of guys in Florence recently, wearing suits in 90 degree warmth...
View attachment 1199745

It's true that the guy on the left looks considerably cooler than the guy on the right, but that's the risk you take standing next to Guillaume.

Full suit and no socks

is the new

Fur coat and no knickers.

amiga505

Reaction score
it's pushing 38 C today in Frankfurt (over 100 F)... I mean - a suit, really? the only comfortable outfit for me in these conditions is a pair of shorts, a linen shirt with sleeves rolled up and sneakers or loafers. on the office day, I will opt for light linen trousers, linen shirt without undershirt (I usually try to stick to wearing undershirts, my personal preference I guess) and loafers. as much as I enjoy wearing a jacket, it will have to stay at home, there is just no chance... on a 32 C day or such like I am able to wear a jacket while I am travelling to the office in the morning, only to carry it in my hand on the way back. mind you, I, as many people here in Europe, travel to and fro by means of public transport.

I don't see how being all rumpled and sweaty is dressing for the occasion. the occasion right now is heat, so one has to walk the walk...

JamesBond08

Reaction score
Somehow I don't prefer full suit and no socks option which is very popular in the last years. I'm more traditional and believe that bare leg shouldn't be exposed in a suit. So for me full knee length socks are the only option with suits :)

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Somehow I don't prefer full suit and no socks option which is very popular in the last years. I'm more traditional and believe that bare leg shouldn't be exposed in a suit. So for me full knee length socks are the only option with suits :)
I wear OTC socks because my ankles get cold when I'm inside at work. It's mostly linen suits and separates all summer. Don't forget the straw hat; they breathe as well as quarter lined linen.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a guy on Saturday wearing a full worsted wool suit at the Union Square Farmers Market. He looked like he was going to faint. As much as I love sartorial splendor, I hate asphyxiation more.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a guy on Saturday wearing a full worsted wool suit at the Union Square Farmers Market. He looked like he was going to faint. As much as I love sartorial splendor, I hate asphyxiation more.
Well, that seems like a mistake on his part - there's summer weaves for that reason.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say he is just an absolute sartorial and suit enthusiast :)

And just for the record where's Union Square Farmers Market?
I'd assume he's in NYC

I'd say the opposite for not having a diverse collection! ;D I didn't really understand weights and lining differences until I really started building my collection.

JamesBond08

Reaction score
I'd assume he's in NYC

I'd say the opposite for not having a diverse collection! ;D I didn't really understand weights and lining differences until I really started building my collection.

Well probably, but I admit that I don't know much about weights and lining either, I just enjoy colours, texture, and fabric in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads