• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing full suit during summer

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the sockless approach unfortunately, even with the no-show socks there is too much perspiration and it is uncomfortable. precisely for this reason, I guess, I have discovered Bresciani linen OTC socks, and I concur, the are awesome for the summer.

I have however been considering lately that an extra layer of fabric of the OTC sock is something which can be discarded during the summer to add an extra touch of coolness. I am therefore interested in standard length linen socks - any particular blend carry them?
The Armoury stocks the Bresciani linen socks in short as well.

amiga505

Reaction score
Not sure. I trashed all my standard length dress socks a long time ago. Only wear OTC. The only downside to me is that they stick to tapered pants legs.
a *****, this... another reason I am considering to add some standard length socks to rotation...

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doubt we ever get consensus on this. Craig Featherstone says cloth has advanced to the point that you could dryclean every other month and still not adversely impact it, whereas other tailors say once a year.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“As needed” seems to work for me except for mandatory Fall cleaning of summer suits. I’ve had suits wear out before but not from fading or changing because of cleaning as far as I can tell. Work chairs, Metro seats, and general use take their toll faster.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“As needed” seems to work for me except for mandatory Fall cleaning of summer suits. I’ve had suits wear out before but not from fading or changing because of cleaning as far as I can tell. Work chairs, Metro seats, and general use take their toll faster.

I have issues with the elbows wearing out on my suits. Do you take your jacket off when you get to work?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have issues with the elbows wearing out on my suits. Do you take your jacket off when you get to work?
Yes, I spend a good portion of my day with my jacket hanging up and my sleeves rolled up two turns. I put the jacket back on for meetings and such, though.

amiga505

Reaction score
Yes, I spend a good portion of my day with my jacket hanging up and my sleeves rolled up two turns. I put the jacket back on for meetings and such, though.

1545956287149460052.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest issue is the Sad Desk Lunch. I like to workout before lunch and then just eat at my desk. Sometimes I end up getting food on my pants. I end up committing the sartorial crime of having my pants dry cleaned more than the jackets. Haven't seen any noticeable color disparities at least!

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the issue? I enjoy wearing a suit at any time of year. As an example, here's a picture of a couple of guys in Florence recently, wearing suits in 90 degree warmth...
View attachment 1199745

It's true that the guy on the left looks considerably cooler than the guy on the right, but that's the risk you take standing next to Guillaume.
This Is One Of My Fav! :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll wear sport coats and trousers, sometimes with ties in the summer. I also sweat quite a bit so even without a sport coat, I'll walk to the office from the metro, be drenched in sweat, and have to wait for the shirt to dry.

In the end, I figure the sport coat hides this fact from others and doesn't really make me sweat anymore than I already otherwise would.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Full suit and no socks

is the new

Fur coat and no knickers.

?

In reality I’m not 100% sure what no socks signifies (‘sprezz’?) but “Fur coat and no knickers” means someone or something that wants to appear classy/expensive but in reality is all surface appearance; which I don’t think applies to the fellow n the pic.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Definitely vote for lightweight, open-weave wool if you want to wear a suit in summer. Linen and seersucker second. Cotton twill is warmest.

I can’t pretend I ENJOY wearing suits much above 20 C but good for those that do.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Only other advice; it really makes a big difference if you avoid direct sunlight and move like a grown-up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads