• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing full suit during summer

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Hi,

Sadly I don't have any proper summer suits yet. I've booked an appointment for making one in a couple of weeks but now I'm starting to doubt my choice and instead go for a cooler late summer/fall suit.
In any case. I enjoy suits year round. Albeit I detest the heat in summer. I look forward to the future when I've gotten myself a linen suit or a seersucker one.

JamesBond08

Reaction score
Hi,

Sadly I don't have any proper summer suits yet. I've booked an appointment for making one in a couple of weeks but now I'm starting to doubt my choice and instead go for a cooler late summer/fall suit.
In any case. I enjoy suits year round. Albeit I detest the heat in summer. I look forward to the future when I've gotten myself a linen suit or a seersucker one.

But you are wearing your suits even on heat I immagine?

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Just like me! :)

Oh yes. I'm also fond of not showing legs so I too struggle with the full length socks.
To make matters even worse I also prefer to not take my jacket off unless I'm atleast wearing a waistcoat which of course is not happening mid-summer. :p

JamesBond08

Reaction score
Oh yes. I'm also fond of not showing legs so I too struggle with the full length socks.
To make matters even worse I also prefer to not take my jacket off unless I'm atleast wearing a waistcoat which of course is not happening mid-summer. :p

I also prefer not to take off my jacket, I guess I feel more comfortable wearing it ;)

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, in NYC. It was 33 C / 91 F on Saturday, so properly hot.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quarter lined jackets, and honestly there is not much difference if you wear a jacket or not. Linen and Mohair too will keep it cool. Suits are fine in mid summer under these conditions.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to wear a suit at work. In the summer I wear half-lined suits in lightweight wool, mohair, or linen and their various blends with linen tie and shirt. Cotton is awful for suiting in my opinion. Will also wear sport coat and tie in the same manner. Always with an undershirt.

Sockless is ugly to me and my feet just sweat as well. Bresciani makes some great OTC linen socks. Picked up several pair from the Armoury and they are holding up well. Hanger Project carries some nice lightweight OTC socks as well.

On egregiously hot days I add a Panama hat.

noworees

Reaction score
I am 6'3," and 234 lbs. I am always warm and perspire excessively in the summer. I have some linen (half lined) and cotton suits that I enjoy. Does anyone else enjoy a waist coat, trousers, and dress shirt w/o a tie in the summer? Incidentally this look does require carrying a briefcase, bag, or portfolio to keep your keys, business cards, etc in. Unless you carry them in your pockets.

amiga505

Reaction score
I have to wear a suit at work. In the summer I wear half-lined suits in lightweight wool, mohair, or linen and their various blends with linen tie and shirt. Cotton is awful for suiting in my opinion. Will also wear sport coat and tie in the same manner. Always with an undershirt.

Sockless is ugly to me and my feet just sweat as well. Bresciani makes some great OTC linen socks. Picked up several pair from the Armoury and they are holding up well. Hanger Project carries some nice lightweight OTC socks as well.

On egregiously hot days I add a Panama hat.

I have the same problem with the sockless approach unfortunately, even with the no-show socks there is too much perspiration and it is uncomfortable. precisely for this reason, I guess, I have discovered Bresciani linen OTC socks, and I concur, the are awesome for the summer.

I have however been considering lately that an extra layer of fabric of the OTC sock is something which can be discarded during the summer to add an extra touch of coolness. I am therefore interested in standard length linen socks - any particular blend carry them?

amiga505

Reaction score
I am 6'3," and 234 lbs. I am always warm and perspire excessively in the summer. I have some linen (half lined) and cotton suits that I enjoy. Does anyone else enjoy a waist coat, trousers, and dress shirt w/o a tie in the summer? Incidentally this look does require carrying a briefcase, bag, or portfolio to keep your keys, business cards, etc in. Unless you carry them in your pockets.

I have always thought that a man about town on the move, clearly not just out for a coffee and cigarette from an office nearby, wearing just a waistcoat, and no jacket even in hand, looks slightly off, same way a man wearing just a dress shirt and a tie under the same set of circumstances looks (rolling up the sleeves on a hot day helps to balance the look, but not by a great margin). there is certain indoor incompleteness to the look. and a waistcoat without a tie always looked sort of orphaned to me, that triangle of the shirt lounging for a tie. bow-tie works best with a waistcoat during summer in my opinion.

noworees

Reaction score
I have always thought that a man about town on the move, clearly not just out for a coffee and cigarette from an office nearby, wearing just a waistcoat, and no jacket even in hand, looks slightly off, same way a man wearing just a dress shirt and a tie under the same set of circumstances looks (rolling up the sleeves on a hot day helps to balance the look, but not by a great margin). there is certain indoor incompleteness to the look. and a waistcoat without a tie always looked sort of orphaned to me, that triangle of the shirt lounging for a tie. bow-tie works best with a waistcoat during summer in my opinion.
Fair enough.

stinkybarbour

Reaction score
Underpants (white cotton briefs, preferably fresh that day) a string vest, espadrilles and a handkerchief (used, knotted at each corner) to keep my head shaded.
It never fails to impress the ladies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads