• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Ferragamo & Brioni Too early?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, I think wearing your nice watches or driving a luxury car too early had a much greater impact.

Dress watches does not show up much, but if you are junior and wearing a 18K gold and Steel Rolex, that will make people jealous

I think junior wearing a 100% steel rolex is fine, when I was in a chamber for summer jobs, most people including learners and barrister will wear one, it is not too much of a big deal. Everyday I worn a V-series GMT-2 to learn and no one even mention it or catches anyone's eye

driving a flashy car to work is by far the worst, some of the peers gave me a dirty look when they saw me getting pick up by my cousin who works in Bank of China, with his GTR35 because there was a family dinner event and he was giving me lift

However, the worst thing which annoys your boss is your exotic BF/GF, on one day, after work I went to pick up my trashy *** GF outside the office, the barrister had seen me with her and since then it became a topic for at least 1 week

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, you guys are over thinking the hell out of this.

I've picked my boss up in my s-class or 911 turbo and all he said was "nice car". No demotions, pay cuts, etc.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've picked my boss up in my s-class or 911 turbo and all he said was "nice car". No demotions, pay cuts, etc.

plus one

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweigo - I do agree.

But I do take issue with those who say things such as 'I'll wear what I want simply because I want to, nobody cares anyway'. Because this sort of bravado demonstrates to me exactly the problem. They are, by the nature of their own words, indicating that haven't developed either good communication skills or the understanding that managing perceptions is quite important.

Of course doing a good job is the most important thing - that goes without saying. What seems to be missing from many posters thinking is an understanding that they are actually in competition with their peers. At some point you will, hopefully, rise up to a level where all of your peers are competent, perhaps even outstanding. At this point the subtle differientiations become increasingly important. Your appearance, your demeanor, your ability to influence others, all become increasingly important the higher up you rise. It's just that simple. You can either play all of these factors 'to win' or simply to please yourself, it's a personal choice. But suffice it to say you don't see any senior VPs at the fortune 500 companies coming in to work in flip flops and shaggy hair, there are expetcations to fulfill and your ultimate success is somewhat determined by how you fulfill them. Of course there are notible exceptions to every rule.

GBer

Reaction score
It depends on the culture of your department (or even team). Also depends if you are working in the front office and you meet clients. I certainly dress differently when I go to meet clients. Some see it as an identifier of your level of success. It shows you can afford a certain level of clothes. If you work in IT and never meet any clients, it really doesn't matter. Not everyone can afford bespoke JLs, A&S, or Leonard Logsdail.

Some MDs will come out and ask you what you are wearing. Others won't care. Some talk a lot about fashion: a tailor they went to, or the latest JL they just bought. In some places there are "uniform" ranks. For example cufflinks are usually for VPs and higher. However when you go to Europe, cufflinks are common even at the lowest levels.

Why do you believe there's such a proliferation of such high-end fashion venues in finance capitals? Look how many go to Saville Row and Jermyn Street? Bank bonuses affect those economies significantly.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uniform ranks? really?

cufflinks for veeps and above? come on now. that is just ridiculous

TimNguyen

Reaction score
Thats so true. I don't think I have ever been asked about my clothes from another guy.

When I went for a job interview I made sure to not be too flashy. Its always good to make a great first impression but I didn't want my soon to be employer to scoff at me. I feel like its very important to stay modest. No one likes a show off. "Bling bling. look at me" haha

Oh man I missed a page entirely. As far as cuff links go I don't see a problem with someone at a lower level wearing them.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

People evidently suffer from paranoid delusions thinking that they are a split second from the sack just because they wear a nice watch.

This thread is running a serious risk of me hurting my knuckles by punching a wall in frustration :brick: .

Most of you guys are smart, why the hell are you cross analyzing everything like a neurotic Woody Allen type character?

If a boss were to sack a junior office guy after seeing a nice watch, it will be more than likely be related to that person being **** at his job. The nice watch would only serve to trip the boss's mind into thinking that person contributes nothing to the company, yet appears to consider their status more important than their job performance - particularly when spending their barley deserved cash on brand whoring douchebagery.

Nothing worse for a boss when his/her employee suck at their job yet suffer from delusions of self grandeur and importance.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
exactly. if you perform, you can wear a god damn kiton suit and nothing will happen

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

exactly. if you perform, you can wear a god damn kiton suit and nothing will happen

There you go ;)
Now that this is concluded, this irritating thread can finally die a death.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well not really. But i can agree to not have the last word.

And with that I can promise to leave this particular thread by saying it's not even that I actually disagree with most of what's been said regarding 'what you can get away with'. Of course there are lots of other factors more important than you clothes. It's just that at some point all the little tiny things will start to matter and more in terms of your success. I hope you take the time to understand that. That's all.

I'm outta this one. Will be happy to see you all around other threads though. I enjoy are little chats!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics