Wearing Ferragamo & Brioni Too early?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jakeyt, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

no joke. Its just like every other conservative industry. You can wear nice stuff particularly because it isn't ostentatious. Its not like your brioni suit has big letters across the back.

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Who amongst those who object to Mr. Knightly's summary above is over the age of 40?

Who amongst you regularly spends any time at all in executive board rooms or rubbing elbows with CEOs of major corporations?

Who amongst you has reached even VP level in your field?

If not, I find your willingness to state facts of how it works at anything more than entry level to be based on very little personal experience and thus suspect at best.

Happy to discuss further with anyone who has actual personal experience at the senior level of banking, finance, law, insurance, accounting etc. etc.

Barring any such personal experience on the part of the posters to come I remain in concurrance with Mr. Knightly's statement.

3. jakeyt

jakeyt Senior member

4. TimNguyen

TimNguyen Well-Known Member

Is the article referring to horsebit ferragmos or just the brand in general? What do you guys think?

5. cymbal2k

cymbal2k Well-Known Member

What do you do that you can rock those brands? I and 24 and cant even come close to affording that at full price. Any tips?

6. TimNguyen

One pair I got as a gift from a mentor of mine and the other I guess I charged on my credit card. tbh I probably should not be spending as much as I do on clothes.

7. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

Working in an industry closely related to money-making?

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

@ Tim,

Congrats at having someone in your life you can refer to as a mentor. That is a better indicator of your potential success, or not, than anything you could say about clothing.

Regarding what the article was referring to in terms of Ferragamo, I'm reasonably certain it would have meant those items that flash lots of logo/hardware. And probably is also more than a bit behind the times as to where Ferragamo sits today in the world of luxury goods.

Although one can still easily walk into Saks and find a pair of Ferragamo shoes at over a grand a pair and belts over 500. So there is still some cred behind the brand in terms of cost. If not for quality nor design. Let us not forget that to the vast majority of people, even the vast majority of corporate middle management types these would be considered a luxury expenditure. Sure, the sartorially aware realize the lack of real quality in certain offerings from certain brands. But that level of differientation is lost on many, including the reporter who wrote the article.

9. TimNguyen

@gdot

Yeah I feel blessed to have someone show me the ropes.

I feel like it also depends on how something as worn as well. I've seen some people who are nothing but flash.
    I'm pretty sure the article is referring to tryhards as well trying to run with the big boys.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

11. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I speak with c-suite executives daily. I'm not over 40, but thats irrelevant anyways. I don't go to board meetings, but once again, this is about VPs and MDs, not board members, who don't dress that great either. Btw, aren't you some interior designer or something? Perhaps you should tone down the condescension. I'd much rather listen to someone in the trenches at an IBank than some interior designer who has met a few CEOs and thinks he has a clue.

The 2nd half of your post shows your ignorance. Yes, MDs and some SVPs regularly have discussions with the C-suite, but they spend far more time dealing with analysts, associates, VPs, etc. In fact, my office is about 80 feet from both my EVP and MD. I see, and discuss items with them regularly, despite being only 6 years into the business.

This is not up for discussion. Most people, even at very high levels and incomes, simply don't care much about clothes. They wear the business uniform, but don't care much further. I would bet a couple grand that if I asked my MD whether his suit was fully canvassed, he would look at me like I had three heads.

some of these fluff pieces have little basis in fact. Most of the goldman folks I meet wear expensive clothes, but don't manage to look very good due to fit issues, or just look so generic that they may as well wear merona stuff from target.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

12. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Senior member

Thanks. I think I'll go with my experience on this one. Two close friends and one family member that were analysts at Goldman at one time or another. All with generational wealth, you can call them republicans if you want, but I think that would just be stupid. One doesn’t dress like a slob, the other two…yikes. You could give them $10k to spend on an outfit and they’d manage to look like crap.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is my experience as well, really. I don't work in the finance industry, but I deal with IBers, finance professionals and so on. Most of them that are over 30 look very generic. I mean clearly expensive stuff, but as generic as a Canali suit, blue shirt, red tie as you can get. I deal with our CEO, COO, VP's. Same thing goes, generic. The only time clothing is ever brought up in my work place is by the loudmouth woman who sits near me when I get new socks or tie or something.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Quad,

I stand by my statements. I find nothing of merit to discuss in your bombastic and poorly formed post. Perhaps if you wish to enter into public debates about a topic you might consider that your 6 years of experience is not exactly a vast wealth of detailed knowledge from which to form authoritative opinions.

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

This is why I only wear alligator shoes. Leaves no doubt that I am here to take your job, your sense of accomplishment and your wife.