• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Ferragamo & Brioni Too early?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nobody cares what you wear after the first 2 minutes of your arrival at the office.

Would you care what someone is wearing when you are working 15 hrs a day, gaining weight, chain smoking, binge drinking, and not getting laid?

9/10, it's the watch that matters........I've seen many diamond bezels floating around these days.

TimNguyen

Reaction score
Personally I am only 22 and I own two pairs of Ferragamos but tbh you really couldn't tell unless you asked me. I purchased them not because of the brand but how the shoe fit and the leather quality was much better than what you can find in a $100-$200 pair.

Last edited:

wing8tesqw

Reaction score
def not for a bank. I'd not want to be the guy in the pink shirt with the horsebit loafers...

Oddly enough I have my zenga horsebit loafers on today, but this isn't an IB and nobody cares but me & the cute reception girl..
satisfied.gif

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone link a pic of these Ferragamo shoes that people are talking about? Considering that there's little mention of Ferragamo on SF, I would like to see what the big deal is.

Mr Knightly

Reaction score
I'm in law, not finance, but most of my family and friends are in finance, and a number of them have worked at Goldman at one time or another. All of them, regardless of their interest in clothes before graduating college, are now extremely knowledgeable about tailored clothing.

In the world of elite finance, your clothes matter a great deal, and, yes, people can recognize a Brioni. One of my closest friends treated himself to a Brioni when he made VP. Two of his superiors noticed it on the first day he wore it, and they gave him ****. Now, he'd been there a while, was doing great work, had been promoted, and was well respected at this point. Therefore, it was something he could get away with. If he'd done it as an analyst, he might have been told not to wear it again. Certainly analysts are routinely told not to wear cufflinks. Brioni, in particular, can be seen as inappropriate because it's not just nice, but is also the quintessential power suit.

By the way, Ferragamo is not generally considered to be "too much" for even analysts to wear. Of course, every MD has his own weird rules.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in law, not finance, but most of my family and friends are in finance, and a number of them have worked at Goldman at one time or another. All of them, regardless of their interest in clothes before graduating college, are now extremely knowledgeable about tailored clothing.

In the world of elite finance, your clothes matter a great deal, and, yes, people can recognize a Brioni. One of my closest friends treated himself to a Brioni when he made VP. Two of his superiors noticed it on the first day he wore it, and they gave him ****. Now, he'd been there a while, was doing great work, had been promoted, and was well respected at this point. Therefore, it was something he could get away with. If he'd done it as an analyst, he might have been told not to wear it again. Certainly analysts are routinely told not to wear cufflinks. Brioni, in particular, can be seen as inappropriate because it's not just nice, but is also the quintessential power suit.

By the way, Ferragamo is not generally considered to be "too much" for even analysts to wear. Of course, every MD has his own weird rules.

I don't buy that "people can recognize a Brioni," especially not random bankers. There's nothing inherently distinct about Brioni's sport coats. If you said Tom Ford, those are pretty easily identifiable. Even Purple Label is identifiable. Also, I'm not sure how Brioni is "the quintessential power suit." Explain?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Knightly.

This completely supports my observations of the sartorial standards of the major financial, insurance, and legal firms with which I am familiar.

And I completely agree with you that Ferragamo long ago ceased being perceived as a luxury brand in America. You can see the 'ol black bit loafers on every schmo in the American business world. That's been true for a long time. I can remember hating them way back in the 80's. They do still offer very high quality goods at their flagship stores in Italy. Including bespoke footwear and tailoring. Sumptuous fabrics and hand work similar to Brioni, etc. etc. Too bad they do none of it themselves and have diluted their brand to such an extent in America.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I call 100% bs on this.

I am in daily contact with representatives from all the bulge bracket firms and smaller boutiques, and I've never seen any of them have more than a passing interest in clothing. Yes, most MDs and VPs are dressed in expensive high quality suits (which don't fit all that great on average), but they didn't seem to have any additional interest (or take notice) in a purple label over even a cheap CT beater suit. The only shoes they seem to comment on are some of my wingtips or brogues, and almost always its because they don't see too many young people wearing them. Shoes on them range from complete dogshit to edward green (which the guy got as a bday present from his wife). I've definitely seen more gucci horsebits than I have John Lobbs.

Nobody has said a word about my cufflinks, but then I don't wear goofy or ostentatious links.

Look, tom ford will raise eyebrows, but a well fitted brioni suit, white shirt, subdued tie, and some EG semi brogues will fly under the radar. Some of the best Ibankers I've met dress poorly, but they have the Rolodex that would make the guy in the bespoke steed salivate.

Last edited:

wing8tesqw

Reaction score

I know some places push a "made in america" ie hickey, southwick, ect...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been reading, shaking my head. Surely this is all bullshit, I mean give me a break. This whole affair sounds like paranoid delusions and not reality. And if it were reality, a company that promotes junior employees to dress in rags / low end clothing is absolutely stupid. Sure, companies do not want their employees looking like they come off a fashion runway or dressed like the hells angels, but in all seriousness, who would bat an eyelid at a Brioni or Oxxford suit? Gimme a break, I cannot stand this level of stupidity :mad:

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score

I have been reading, shaking my head. Surely this is all bullshit, I mean give me a break. This whole affair sounds like paranoid delusions and not reality. And if it were reality, a company that promotes junior employees to dress in rags / low end clothing is absolutely stupid. Sure, companies do not want their employees looking like they come off a fashion runway or dressed like the hells angels, but in all seriousness, who would bat an eyelid at a Brioni or Oxxford suit? Gimme a break, I cannot stand this level of stupidity :mad:

I agree

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
I work in banking and I know analysts and associates who wear Ferragamo and Brioni -- less so to the latter, but Ferragamo is definitely worn by every level

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads