• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing cufflinks with the Sleeves rolled up

stuarts8

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering for some of our more recent members, on a hot day I unfasten my cufflinks leave themn attached to the outside cuffs and fold the cuffs back twice. i do not like removing my links from the shirt and much prefer to leave them in. I wonder if any others on the Board do the same? I think it looks cool and is much easier than fiddling around removing them from the shirt and having to put them in later whereas later on I can just roll them down and do the links up. Do any others do the same? I`d particularly like to hear from more recent members.
Cheers
Stuarts8

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that there was a thread on this some time back.
The general consensus was that it was better to remove the cufflinks and I must say that I agree.
I do sometimes roll up the sleeves of French cuff shirts, and I really cannot imagine that it would be very easy to do if the cufflinks remained in there, as they would create quite a lump in the folds. In addition, I would have thought that the cufflinks that were wrapped in the fold would press against your arms if you rested your forearms on a table or desk (whilst typing, for exampe) and that this would be quite uncomfortable.
Therefore, in my opinion, it's much better to simply remove them all together before you roll up your sleeves.

stuarts8

Reaction score
Well i have to say that i do it and do not experience the problem you suggest, Journeyman. I do not find they create a lump in the folds and if you roll them up above the elbows you do not notice them at all.
What you need to do which is what I do is undo the links and fold the cuffs back twice.
This causes me no problem at all.
Cheers
Stuarts8

Collector23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stuarts8
Hi all. Just wondering for some of our more recent members, on a hot day I unfasten my cufflinks leave themn attached to the outside cuffs and fold the cuffs back twice. i do not like removing my links from the shirt and much prefer to leave them in. I wonder if any others on the Board do the same? I think it looks cool and is much easier than fiddling around removing them from the shirt and having to put them in later whereas later on I can just roll them down and do the links up. Do any others do the same? I`d particularly like to hear from more recent members.
Cheers
Stuarts8

If I roll my sleeves up, i simply remove the cufflinks and put them in my pocket. Wouldn't they get caught in the shirt if you roll the sleeves twice?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left them in and rolled up last night.

Ended up losing one of my links. Hopefully the host of the party will find it...

K

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do this all the time, but I can't imagine what about it makes it "look cool," or at least, any cooler than just having regular sleeves rolled up. Once your sleeves are rolled up twice, the cufflink is no longer visible.

I have never had a comfort issue with it, as the link ends up more on the top side of your arm than the bottom.

I do this strictly for utility. I am far more likely to lose a link from my pocket than I am from my shirt sleeve. I don't know how leaving a cufflink in, particularly when it's additionally rolled up in your sleeve, is especially conducive to losing it. Leaving it in, I'm only asking it to perform its usual function, only on half as much material.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've lost a few cufflinks like that. Apparently I don't learn from my mistakes as I still roll up my sleeves with the links on

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why did you take your coat off? why are you wearing cufflinks without a coat? Are you a pirate?

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People lose cufflinks leaving them in the sleeves, people lose cufflinks left in their pockets. Do I see a pattern here?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I've lost a few cufflinks like that. Apparently I don't learn from my mistakes as I still roll up my sleeves with the links on

+1, except I learned from my mistakes, and now take them out. but I lost one of my favorites that way.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
why did you take your coat off? why are you wearing cufflinks without a coat? Are you a pirate?

I wear French cuffs without a jacket sometimes. What's the big deal? I'm definitely not a pirate (my head doesn't deal well with hats or bandannas).

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree its kind of a catch-22. I think you shouldnt be wearing french cuffs without a Jacket. Period. I was always of the mind that the whole point of the french cuff was to show off your links, and your cuff outside the jacket. Personally, I find it to be a huge faux paux to have a FC without a jacket. However, I have worn FC's, then taken my jacket off, and since I always roll my sleeves, had this issue, but I simply left the links on, as the OP said.

Its better to have a fC shirt rolled up, then not without a jacket.

stuarts8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

What has happened here, gdl203 is that the T-Bar has not been tight enough or you didnt close it properly when rolling up the sleeves. Equally the links can also fall out of a pocket so I still think it is safer to leave them in the sleeves.Rather than Just folding the cuffs back , you could roll them above the elbow and then they will not fall out.
As i say, I have not had this problem.

Cheers
Stuart

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah!!! I got a message today from the host of the party.

She found my link.

Everything is coming up Milhouse

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads