• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing contrast collar casually?

betep

Reaction score
What do you guys think? I'm talking chinos + rolled up sleeves

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A few years back this was all the rage in the fashion world, though it seems to have subsided. I'm still a big fan of contrast collars, though, and, while they seem to burst into and out of popular trends, they will remain a timeless choice in my book.

The real brilliance of the contrast collar, IMO, is that it will permit a man whose complexion is flattered by white to pull off a very wide range of colors that otherwise may not suit him quite as well.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a fan.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope - don't do it. At least not if it's made from a 'dress shirt' fabric.

Same is true of a solid color shirt - if the fabric is poplin or other 'flat weave' it just looks wrong with casual trousers.

Oxford cloth or something with a texture is fine - but you aren't going to find many contrast collar shirts in textured fabrics.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time anyone pulled this off was in late 60's Rolling Stones PR pics. And, not with sleeves rolled up.

trum01

Reaction score
Wearing contrast collars AT ALL? Always reminds me of the lovely gents from Boston Legal.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to do this once because I couldn't do laundry and all I had available was a contrast collar shirt. Don't do it, it looks awful. I had to buy another shirt that day
lol8[1].gif

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at least you were wearing a SC. OP was talking about rolled up sleeves...

joe4u

Reaction score
A coworker used to wear contrast collar everyday it was silly. So no, not really a huge fan either here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads