• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wearing chinos casually?

rockket

Reaction score
Hey

Just wondering how to wear my chinos casually in a high school/everyday environment. I'm usually a polo/shirt&sweater + jeans kind of guy, but i'm looking to change it up a bit in the pants department. The problem is, it looks awkardly-not-quite-dressed-up-nor-casual when I pull on my chinos and polo (untucked). Ideas? Input?

Thanks.

Not Carl

Reaction score
Slimmer fit chinos/khakis usually look a little more casual.

seen

Reaction score
Polo + khakis don't look award at all

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBcasual.jpg

I lifted this from thesartorialist.com. I dunno what it is, but I love this look. He's got it going on.

rockket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seen
Polo + khakis don't look award at all

If I were 5 or 2 years older, I wouldn't be thinking that. But I'm only 17, and still stuck in highschool. When most kids are wearing t-shirt + jeans or gym clothes, I'd look pretty out of place.

By the way, most of my polos are classic fit Polo - they fit, but aren't exactly "slim." So unless I wear my (fewer) "fitted" ones, slimfit chinos will look out of place.

Oh, and Renault - the picture's not working for me.

Thanks again, everyone.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
How ro make them work in high school? Avoid pleats and don't iron them.

seen

Reaction score
Well polos and khakis is only a small step up from tees and jeans, it's no big deal. I mean it's not like one day you just decide to go to school in suits.

Speaking of which, there was a kid in SF a few months ago who liked to wear suits to school. That was weird.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pleats is really the key. It also helps if they're pretty broken in.

familyman

Reaction score
No pleats, no creases, no cuffs. Don't even fold them, just go from the dryer to a pile on the floor. J Crew and several other places sell khakis that are pre-beat to **** that would work well. There's more than one way to wear khakis and a polo.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seen
Well polos and khakis is only a small step up from tees and jeans, it's no big deal. I mean it's not like one day you just decide to go to school in suits.

Speaking of which, there was a kid in SF a few months ago who liked to wear suits to school. That was weird.

What ever happened to that guy, anyway?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What ever happened to that guy, anyway?

The football team won't let him get back out of his locker (kidding, kidding...).

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
The football team won't let him get back out of his locker (kidding, kidding...).
As I recall he was six something 250+...

aspriel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby

Could very well be a lot of fat. Doesn't matter. At high school, I was 6' 265 or so... lots of fat... but I'll be damned if my one or two punches/kicks did as much as 10 of theirs.
wink.gif

P.S. There's a Facebook group about people wearing suits to class...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby

Then perhaps he's busy keeping the football team in their lockers.

seen

Reaction score
250+??
I remembered him being skinny, and wore suits that were too baggy.

Originally Posted by aspriel
P.S. There's a Facebook group about people wearing suits to class...

Facebook is for university students, though. In a business program, it's pretty normal to see people in suits. This kid was wearing suits to school as a junior in highschool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads