• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing black tie for Easter Sunday service?

take_eacy

Reaction score
For those of you who go to church, do you feel that wearing a black knit tie over a white shirt with a charcoal suit is suitable for Easter Sunday service? I'm wondering whether that black over white is more "wedding" than Easter Sunday. Maybe it's more suitable for Good Friday..?

To give some context, 70+% of church goers at my church wear suits and ties on Sundays - I just don't know if pulling out the black tie is considered as wearing my "sunday best."

oh yeah, i really want to pair it with my white PS with black piping.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go ahead, no one cares. I am not sure why you would wear such solemn colors on Easter sunday though, I would take that time to step up the colors.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be fine. For a minute when I read your thread title "wearing black tie" instead of "wearing *A* black tie" I thought you were wearing a tuxedo to church.

This is SF, someone might have an opinion, but I guarantee NO ONE will notice any different in the real world. Wear what you think looks good

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems grossly OTT to me but I do not trouble the parson on Easter Sunday or indeed any other Sunday personally.

Is the Sunday ceremony not supposed to be joyous as the Friday 'killing' was not as permanent as those perpetrating it had intended?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
It will be fine. For a minute when I read your thread title "wearing black tie" instead of "wearing *A* black tie" I thought you were wearing a tuxedo to church.

This is SF, someone might have an opinion, but I guarantee NO ONE will notice any different in the real world. Wear what you think looks good

my thoughts exactly!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black tie would be more funeral then wedding. I guess on Good Friday it might fit .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads