• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing an ascot

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the horrible tie that you see on formal wear, but the scarf that you wear with an open collared shirt. Where do you find a scarf that can serve as an ascot, especially one that isn't too...froo froo, for lack of a better word? I would only ever wear one with a shirt and sweater, but I'd like to give it a try if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They are not hard to find, but ... they are inherently, irreducibly froo froo.  No matter what the color or pattern.  I side with the young guys on this one.  The ascot is dead.  Dead, dead, dead.  It is costume.  You will look like a damned fool pretending to be Thurston Howell.  Not recommended.  At all.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I think Manton is right about this (as indeed about most things). I know I attempted an ascot revival in my 20s and while it might have worked visually I was too young for the look then. Now, in my mid-40s, it would be age-appropriate but a fusty foppishness has crept in and spoiled the game. Here's a "rule" that should keep us all out of trouble--wear ascots only with spats.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Here's a "rule" that should keep us all out of trouble--wear ascots only with spats.
Actually, that would be against the rules. Spats are for formal and semi formal wear. Ascots are casual.

[Ducks to avoid thrown heavy object]

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, shortly after I posted this question I began thinking about it and realized that this is probably where it would be headed. Alright, good deal. Thanks.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Ain't nothin' wrong with spats. Ascots are definitely "froo froo" (my new favorite term) though.

Dan

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we had a neat thread a while back that featured several pictures of famous ascot (or neckscarf) wearers. it was fun.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yeah, but it was guys like Charles Nelson Riley. Oy.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have thought about wearing a plain dark blue ascot with a blue shirt and a 3 piece suit for flying - people keep telling me that flying in a tie isn't healthy, and with 200 take offs a year it is something to think about. But it is hard for me to get past the feeling that it is way too foppish.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe you could try a turtleneck dickie? that is, if you can find one.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to avoid any item of clothing called a dickie.....

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ascot is dead. Dead, dead, dead.
King Manton has spoken. Time to close the doors and sail away into oblivion.
s/Alexander S. Kabbaz
Kabbaz-Kelly, Bespoke Froo-Froo Makers to the Well-to-Froo

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Do you get a lot of orders for ascots?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flusser points out accurately that open shirts look unfinished.

Besides conventional neckties, choices are turtlenecks, mock turtlenecks, buttoned polo shirts, crew necked sweaters, and shirts with scarves or ascots. I wear all of them, including the ascot.

I don't know where the self conscious "it's too much of a look for me" comes from. Most people don't even know what it is - in Northern California, I'm much more likely to turn heads for wearing a suit on Saturday instead of denim and a tee shirt.

Properly arranged, you get half an inch of silk to obscure your chest hair or underwear.

Will

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard guys say "well it looks so cool on Cary Grant so I thought I would give it a try". The problem - Cary Grant made whatever he had on look cool, the guy exuded cool. Halle Berry looked good in a pleather catwoman suit, would not recommend it for Roseanne Barr though.
039_67602.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads