1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing an ascot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Feb 22, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

So, is this the ascot's last stand we're seeing here? Does this mean that there could be an ascot revival?

edit: undid the capitalization on "ascot"

2. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I have one (a Michelson's purchased at Harrod's), although I haven't worn it in years primarily due to my wife's opposition. Perhaps I should emulate London Calling. Ben Silver offers nice looking ones at good discounts from time to time in their outlet section.

It is likely I will continue to eschew the ascot for day to day wear in Alabama...

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you decide to try that, let me know how it goes over. [​IMG]

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

likely you would get several of those "you ain't from around here, are ya boy" looks.

5. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

I happened upon my two ascots yesterday, stored at the back of the drawer I keep my braces and bowties in. It's sad, really. They are very practical and good at keeping one warm in winter. When I wore them during their revival 15 years ago I grew to like them alot. I'm hoping for another comeback sooner than later but for now, they are costume territory for the most of us.

B

edit: Watching - make it something good as usual faustian .

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think they're best left to later in life. Once you're of a certain age, I think you can get away with just about anything.

7. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

I wear them whenever I have a monocle on.

8. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

(AlanC @ Feb. 22 2005,22:12) It it likely I will continue to eschew the ascot for day to day wear in Alabama...
    If you decide to try that, let me know how it goes over. Â [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I will say, however, that there are elements of Southern society that would probably accept the ascot without a second thought. The Cavalier tradition still has its remnants.

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

OK, OK. After culling the most interesting items from the past three weeks of threads on the Style Forum, the dress code for A Collection of Sartorial Excellence is now set (presuming that Manton judges the Sartorial Rules to have been followed): Black Suit (Preferably a $14,700 one from Bijan) 100% Polyester White Bowling Shirt - No logos unless "SF" Bespoke Black Budapest Flip-flops (Black only - no Brown in Town, please) Ascot (tucked, not wrapped) Spats Malacca cane (optional) Union Suit down under (mandatory) Monicle Embalming fluid will be available at the bar for any who need a refill. Edit: Per King Manton, the shirt must be 2x2 170s with Italian Collar. 2x2 140's and lower - and tennis or spread collars - will not be accepted. The sergeant-at-arms will be at the door with a loupe. You have been warned.

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

You left out the most important requirements for the shirt: must be 2x2 170s, with an Italian collar.

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    BTW, did anyone catch CSI-NY the other evening? Bridal couples were dying mysteriously. Turns out they were buying the wedding wear at a high-end second-hand store, and the clothing was being stripped from the bodies of the "dearly departed". The embalming fluids, specifically formaldehyde, was killing them. [​IMG]

12. smartie_addict

smartie_addict Active Member

(Alexander Kabbaz @ Feb. 23 2005,08:38) Embalming fluid will be available at the bar for any who need a refill.
    BTW, did anyone catch CSI-NY the other evening? Bridal couples were dying mysteriously. Turns out they were buying the wedding wear at a high-end second-hand store, and the clothing was being stripped from the bodies of the "dearly departed". The embalming fluids, specifically formaldehyde, was killing them. [​IMG]
    I remember catching bits of that..is this possible? i remember reading a post here which pointed to a site of a man from a funeral hme selling suits from the deceased to be cremated...

13. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

My remark about wearing ascots only with spats was a winking reference to the outmoded nature of both.

In a bin of accessories from Louis at Filene's Basement yesterday I found a lone ascot--gray with red pin dots. It occurred to me that it might be adapted as a pocket "square"--what do you chaps think of that idea as a means of making use of such ascots as you may own but, following Manton's sage dictum, no longer wear?

All this talk of informal neckwear has prompted me to remember that I occasionally knot a silk scarf loosely round the open neck of a sport shirt or polo sweater. Because it's a narrow rectangular scarf and not an ascot per se, with flaring ends, it has more of a rolled than a draped appearance and seems less affected somehow (but of course that's only relative, I well realize.).

14. Boulevardier

Boulevardier Active Member

I see no reason why the ascot should be relegated to the dustbin of history. The ascot serves two useful purposes. It keeps the neck warm when wearing an open collar and it keeps the neck largely invisible. This is a good thing for men of a certain age.