1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wearing an ascot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

Yes. As a matter of fact, I just got an order for another one in late 1993. 1 ascot, 6 union suits (140's 2x2 - White) and 2 pairs of detachable cuffs.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

What.?.? No spats? I'll bet that particular client is so crass as to leave the house without a malacca cane. The cad.

3. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

Dead? Not while I have breath.

Costume? Please make the pain go away.

I've been knee deep in ascots for 2 years now and I have no plans to withdraw - no matter how often my wife asks me to (pleads with me to be more precise).

Hopkins, a word of warning ... while I think the scenery is beautiful; ascot-land is a lonely place ... a very lonely place.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Actually, he has joined his beloved ascots. R.I.P.

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I resemble that remark. No, no, but I believe some fellow Dakotans still top off their wardrobes with one of these, courtesy the Vermont Country Store. (Who by the way, are purveyors of all manner of things I would've guessed had long since gone to product heaven...Munsinger pajamas, Evening in Paris perfume, Big Ben alarm clock, etc.) http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shoppin....=dickie

6. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

So, is this the ascot's last stand we're seeing here? Does this mean that there could be an ascot revival?

edit: undid the capitalization on "ascot"

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I have one (a Michelson's purchased at Harrod's), although I haven't worn it in years primarily due to my wife's opposition. Perhaps I should emulate London Calling. Ben Silver offers nice looking ones at good discounts from time to time in their outlet section.

It is likely I will continue to eschew the ascot for day to day wear in Alabama...

8. Manton

If you decide to try that, let me know how it goes over. [​IMG]

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

likely you would get several of those "you ain't from around here, are ya boy" looks.

10. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

I happened upon my two ascots yesterday, stored at the back of the drawer I keep my braces and bowties in. It's sad, really. They are very practical and good at keeping one warm in winter. When I wore them during their revival 15 years ago I grew to like them alot. I'm hoping for another comeback sooner than later but for now, they are costume territory for the most of us.

B

edit: Watching - make it something good as usual faustian .

11. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I think they're best left to later in life. Once you're of a certain age, I think you can get away with just about anything.

12. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Distinguished Member

I wear them whenever I have a monocle on.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

(AlanC @ Feb. 22 2005,22:12) It it likely I will continue to eschew the ascot for day to day wear in Alabama...
    If you decide to try that, let me know how it goes over. Â [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I will say, however, that there are elements of Southern society that would probably accept the ascot without a second thought. The Cavalier tradition still has its remnants.

14. Alexander Kabbaz

OK, OK. After culling the most interesting items from the past three weeks of threads on the Style Forum, the dress code for A Collection of Sartorial Excellence is now set (presuming that Manton judges the Sartorial Rules to have been followed): Black Suit (Preferably a $14,700 one from Bijan) 100% Polyester White Bowling Shirt - No logos unless "SF" Bespoke Black Budapest Flip-flops (Black only - no Brown in Town, please) Ascot (tucked, not wrapped) Spats Malacca cane (optional) Union Suit down under (mandatory) Monicle Embalming fluid will be available at the bar for any who need a refill. Edit: Per King Manton, the shirt must be 2x2 170s with Italian Collar. 2x2 140's and lower - and tennis or spread collars - will not be accepted. The sergeant-at-arms will be at the door with a loupe. You have been warned.

15. Manton

You left out the most important requirements for the shirt: must be 2x2 170s, with an Italian collar.