Wearing a Waistcoat/Vest Casually

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bullet, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Bullet

Bullet Member

So, I own a 3 piece suit and I was wondering if I'd 'be able' to wear the waistcoat casually? I've never seen anyone where I live doing it, because the majority of men here aren't really into fashion. I tried it on with a t-shirt and thought it looked good, but I got thinking that maybe there a different type of of waistcoat that's made specifically for casual wear?

Anyway, since I've never dipped my toes in this, I was wondering what the basic do's and don'ts are for this.

Thanks.

2. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Nope.

This is in the same realm as Tie+No Jacket, or Taking off Jacket after Wedding.

If you happen to be doing something that exerts you physically then sure, but that is just a temporary reprieve - and not as a mode of dress.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. Trit

Trit Senior member

So not that big of a deal? If you think it looks good I say at least try it. Maybe you'll feel like a waiter, maybe you'll feel like James Bond -- disguised as a waiter. But seriously, do what you want, no one's going to be too upset.

4. sbergl

sbergl Well-Known Member

So you're saying you want to wear your vest over a T-shirt? I wouldn't recommend it solely because it kinda kills the purpose of the vest. It looks like something out of a Target clothing catalog in my opinion. Wearing it over a buttoned shirt though could be swung though. That's all about confidence and making it look effortless/comfortable.

5. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

The Style Blogger

Here's a link to an article about your question, and then some. I'm not a fan of the pants he's wearing to demonstrate the waistcoat only look, or having it unbuttoned, but I like the concept and think the look he has with the pants + vest is great. I wouldn't recommend a vest with a t-shirt, but I think that's because the look screams Jonas Brothers to me.

6. Trit

Trit Senior member

No I was thinking with a shirt and tie. Over a T-shirt would be too much of a dichotomy to me. But I don't even own any three piece suits (too warm for me) so I don't have any vests to play with.

7. cc3peat

cc3peat Well-Known Member

I wear a vest casually somewhat often, but always with a buttoned shirt. I personally like it with the sleeves rolled up, reassures people you aren't trying to be overly formal.

8. landshark

landshark Senior member

I wear a vest like this quite often:

[​IMG]

I have nevor worn an ascot like he does in this picture, but I like the idea of a simple, subtle one with a look like this.

9. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Vest with no jacket just seems too GQ / Justin Timberlake 2006 to me.

10. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

+1 I also don't think it will always look out of place. Sometimes when I go out in the evening (let's say to a club) I do wear a waistcoat. :)

Check this out: (Yeah White Collar is famous for Neal Caffrey and his suits... whatever just look at the picture :nodding: )

[​IMG]

I get your point but everyone has his associations with certain outfits/styles :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  11. Bullet

Bullet Member

How about a waistcoat with a buttoned shirt and jeans?

12. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

A venerable tradition: [​IMG]

13. Bullet

Bullet Member

Not quite the same.

14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Vests meant to be worn without a jacket are "self backed" that is to say that the facing cloth is used for the back as well. Bemberg backed vests are supposed to be worn under a jacket, lest one look like a doofus.:embar:

YMMV

15. Bullet

Bullet Member

What are 'facing cloth' and 'bemberg'?