Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wearing a Waistcoat/Vest Casually

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bullet, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Bullet

Bullet Member

So, I own a 3 piece suit and I was wondering if I'd 'be able' to wear the waistcoat casually? I've never seen anyone where I live doing it, because the majority of men here aren't really into fashion. I tried it on with a t-shirt and thought it looked good, but I got thinking that maybe there a different type of of waistcoat that's made specifically for casual wear?

Anyway, since I've never dipped my toes in this, I was wondering what the basic do's and don'ts are for this.

Thanks.

2. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Nope.

This is in the same realm as Tie+No Jacket, or Taking off Jacket after Wedding.

If you happen to be doing something that exerts you physically then sure, but that is just a temporary reprieve - and not as a mode of dress.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

3. Trit

Trit Senior member

So not that big of a deal? If you think it looks good I say at least try it. Maybe you'll feel like a waiter, maybe you'll feel like James Bond -- disguised as a waiter. But seriously, do what you want, no one's going to be too upset.

4. sbergl

sbergl Well-Known Member

So you're saying you want to wear your vest over a T-shirt? I wouldn't recommend it solely because it kinda kills the purpose of the vest. It looks like something out of a Target clothing catalog in my opinion. Wearing it over a buttoned shirt though could be swung though. That's all about confidence and making it look effortless/comfortable.

5. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

The Style Blogger

Here's a link to an article about your question, and then some. I'm not a fan of the pants he's wearing to demonstrate the waistcoat only look, or having it unbuttoned, but I like the concept and think the look he has with the pants + vest is great. I wouldn't recommend a vest with a t-shirt, but I think that's because the look screams Jonas Brothers to me.

6. Trit

Trit Senior member

No I was thinking with a shirt and tie. Over a T-shirt would be too much of a dichotomy to me. But I don't even own any three piece suits (too warm for me) so I don't have any vests to play with.

7. cc3peat

cc3peat Well-Known Member

I wear a vest casually somewhat often, but always with a buttoned shirt. I personally like it with the sleeves rolled up, reassures people you aren't trying to be overly formal.

8. landshark

landshark Senior member

I wear a vest like this quite often:

[​IMG]

I have nevor worn an ascot like he does in this picture, but I like the idea of a simple, subtle one with a look like this.

9. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Vest with no jacket just seems too GQ / Justin Timberlake 2006 to me.

10. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

+1 I also don't think it will always look out of place. Sometimes when I go out in the evening (let's say to a club) I do wear a waistcoat. :)

Check this out: (Yeah White Collar is famous for Neal Caffrey and his suits... whatever just look at the picture :nodding: )

[​IMG]

I get your point but everyone has his associations with certain outfits/styles :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

11. Bullet

Bullet Member

How about a waistcoat with a buttoned shirt and jeans?

12. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

A venerable tradition: [​IMG]

13. Bullet

Bullet Member

Not quite the same.

14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Vests meant to be worn without a jacket are "self backed" that is to say that the facing cloth is used for the back as well. Bemberg backed vests are supposed to be worn under a jacket, lest one look like a doofus.:embar:

YMMV

15. Bullet

Bullet Member

What are 'facing cloth' and 'bemberg'?