• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit with suspenders to a nightclub

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
OT, but if you are 22 and you have $$$ for 35k watches, why don't you get involved in entrepreneurship?

To be entirely honest with you, even though I am still technically a student until I get my masters diploma in December (I don't actually study anymore, Im just waiting to graduate) I already work with my family, and for the most part, the money I spend comes from my salary, even though I barely do anything. But since Ive never really done anything to explicitly make my own money, I categorize my salary as being my parents money...

And I dont buy my own watches, I get them as gifts from my family...

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ronaldo-205.jpg

david-beckham-suit.jpg

Young gentleman please note; neither of these guys is considered even remotely attractive by women when they wear suits...

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
OT, but if you are 22 and you have $$$ for 35k watches, why don't you get involved in entrepreneurship? You can meet some of most creative, energetic, enthusiastic, friendly people around and start companies with them. You can clearly take on some risk for the opportunity to do some really great stuff.

Not sure what it's like in the UK, but here (especially Palo Alto and Boston) the entrepreneurial communities are very strong and there are literally no barriers to entry.

+1000. +2000 if the OP happens to speak Chinese, Korean or Portugese.

And while I wouldn't talk about it on the internet were I in the OP's particular financial position (I'm just a very private person about those matters), I've met many, many people with similar means, at similar ages, that are significanly douchier (I live in LA and used to be a talent agent, if that gives you some idea).

However, I must say, even with his resources I could never bring myself to buy a $5-7k pair of shoes, lol. Though I'd love to have a collection of $30k watches, which I consider to be the outside of what one should spend on a watch they'll actually wear out into the wild vs. just keep in a safe to stare at (a pointless exercise in mental masturbation, IMO).

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
ronaldo-205.jpg

david-beckham-suit.jpg

Young gentleman please note; neither of these guys is considered even remotely attractive by women when they wear suits...

I'm definitely partial to the second suit/shoes, but paired with the first shirt/tie. I only really like a SB peak lapel if it's navy with a sharp white pinstripe or very light silvery grey.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Dude, the hippest clubs don't have explicit dress codes...

Except I doubt the OP is actually going to a 'hip' club, or one that actually plays any decent music. It sounds like he's going to one of these places that massively overprices everything and institutes dress-codes in an effort to produce an illusion of exclusivity to appeal to the tasteless nouveau riche. The sort of place where wannabes go and ***** their entire months wages on overpriced champagne in a desperate effort to make themselves feel like they're special by way of tenuous association with a few of the Z-list celebrities who occasionally visit the same club.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Yea, that's what I was thinking might be the case. To everyone else: your other comments/feelings aside, you have to admit this information changes things somewhat.
Yes, it does. It makes the OP look like that much more of a moron, because he didn't disclose the fact that he lives in London until page 5 of his thread. "Hey guys can I wear cowboy boots and bibs to a nightclub" ...5 pages later... "oh guys I forgot to tell you that this nightclub is actually a line dancing country bar in the middle of Alabama" The trolls seem to get less and less entertaining/witty with time
plain.gif

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So are you hitting top London clubs like Fabric? You still should dress casual.

Edit - I'm not going to post anymore in this thread but I will say that if I'm in Ibiza, London, Miami, NYC or here in Toronto...I'm wearing the same thing to the clubs...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Except I doubt the OP is actually going to a 'hip' club, or one that actually plays any decent music. It sounds like he's going to one of these places that massively overprices everything and institutes dress-codes in an effort to produce an illusion of exclusivity to appeal to the tasteless nouveau riche. The sort of place where wannabes go and ***** their entire months wages on overpriced champagne in a desperate effort to make themselves feel like they're special by way of tenuous association with a few of the Z-list celebrities who occasionally visit the same club.

I'm not sure a distinction between new and old money is needed, just knowing that the "hippest" places in large western cities don't have dress codes because the people they cater to just wouldn't go there otherwise and the crowd wouldn't have the requisite "look" for people to enjoy themselves. You're not going to get rockers, fashion crowd, artists, etc by telling them they need to wear a suit.

I'm still wondering why the OP feels we need to know the price of his watches or bar tab.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Yes, it does. It makes the OP look like that much more of a moron, because he didn't disclose the fact that he lives in London until page 5 of his thread.

"Hey guys can I wear cowboy boots and bibs to a nightclub"

...5 pages later...

"oh guys I forgot to tell you that this nightclub is actually a line dancing country bar in the middle of Alabama"

The trolls seem to get less and less entertaining/witty with time
plain.gif

Ok, I'll give you that, but to be fair, we're all guilty of forgetting the difference between what we know and what other people know given the information we give them. If you leave a key step out of a corporate growth plan you're presenting to your CEO because it seems like a self-evident jump between A and B in your head, the plan will make no sense, though you won't understand that it makes no sense because all the logic is there in your mind. It's a common communication problem. OP probably just didn't think about the fact that most of us aren't in the UK.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm still wondering why the OP feels we need to know the price of his watches or bar tab.

Because I felt like it....Wait, you don't feel intimidated do you?

Originally Posted by tricky
So are you hitting top London clubs like Fabric?

No, clubs like Tramp and Cuckoo...what people here call "Private Members Clubs" even if that's total bullshit...

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Talleyrand
At the risk of contributing to this disaster of a thread, I must point out many errors in most of the reasoning behind the arrogant and prescriptive posts in this thread.

Most posters in this thread sound like young'uns that are not very experienced at going out at night (20-24). Many of you sound like you do not yet understand that many spots for night life in big cities are not limited to the corner "night club" that booms the latest Yo MTV Raps hit.

Anyone that speaks of only wearing "jeans and kicks" has a very limited knowledge of the various types of night clubs individuals can attend in real cities. Many upscale night clubs in LA and NYC have dress codes and if you are wearing "kicks" you will not get in. Even if you think you are a "baller" and can just grease the security, unless you are friends with the owner of the spot, you are not getting in under dress code. I was told by ladies from Britain that the best clubs you will not get into wearing "trainers".

And even at some of the hip hop clubs you all would never think to dress up for, the men from the ghetto can still respect the smart dresser as folks like these guys sometimes attend hip hop clubs to dance. I doubt any of you whippersnappers would try telling these cats that they are "douches" for wearing suits to hip hop events (even if the suits admittedly dont fit them the best):

ebs_group2.jpg

http://www.electricboogaloos.com/members.html

So the guy who talks up "real cities" apparently has never even been to London or the UK....

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymanjones
I think you may all have misunderstood what I mean by "nightclub"... Without being too blunt, Im talking about going to an exclusive club, on a vip table, and a bill that will most likely total over £2K. And here's me attempting to be modest...
I guess you don't need the suit to reek of douche lol.
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads