1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing a suit to work...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acidboy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

2. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

If you go to interview at LinkedIn, Google, Apple, etc. the advice people give on dress is, "Don't wear a suit or you will get laughed out of the room." So yeah, comic is 100% accurate.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Interestingly I have yet to go to an interview at the corporate level where the interviewer was wearing a suit. (Obviously I haven't had many interviews at the corporate level).

4. Barroomheroes

Barroomheroes Well-Known Member

I regularly interview people for my company. We are located in Orange County, CA.
    If a candidate DOES NOT wear a suit to the interview they better WOW me over in other way's. A suit show's
    respect and professionalism. I interview Sales People for a job that pay's 50K-75K a year..​

5. rboat

rboat Member

I also work in southern California and regularly wear a suit to work. I would say wearing a suit to work depends on the industry.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

7. emc894

emc894 Senior member

Thank God I am in finance.

8. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Today was the second time in a week that one of my 12 YO daughter's friends looked at my suit and asked why I was wearing a tuxedo. I wasn't even wearing a tie today.

9. Ayrton

Ayrton Well-Known Member

I wont even speak to an applicant who is not in a suit.

10. michellefashion

michellefashion Member

In my opinion the idea of being in a suit to work is rather old fashioned. Well I agree to the fact that a suit is the perfect tool to give a positive first impression to your interviewers, bosses or even workmates but trust me this is slowly fadding away. Someone earlier on just mentioned that if you went to a LinkedIn, Google or Apple interview the guys would just be left laughing behind.

All in all it depends with the profession you are in. Too bad the sales guy in most cases have no better option.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Depends on the industry/company/etc...

12. SFEND002

SFEND002 Active Member

Suit to work every day. What do you think the applicant needs to wear to get hired?

13. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

I've never worn a suit when interviewing for a job. I do wear one around the office from time to time simply because I feel like wearing one, not because there is a dress code.

14. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

Just a quick comment from the other side of the pond..London ,England to be more precise.

Over here you better not even turn up for an interview without a suit you are doomed from the second you walk into the room.This includes places like LinkedIn,Amazon,Google..Basically the rule of the thumb is ALWAYS wear a suit unless stated othervise.Once you get the job the dress code is up to the company(corporate,smart casual or jeans an polo shirt)

15. vida

vida Senior member

Thank goodness for England!!

16. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Yes, the English still believe in "proper" attire.

17. emc894

emc894 Senior member

A good friend of mine is whatever the equivalent of legal counsel is in London for a hedge fund. He wears chinos, dress shirt, and chelsea boots. He says that if you see someone wearing a suit you think they are interviewing for a job. He's in his 40's, went to Eton and is pretty staid all around. He essentially said he would be awkwardly overdressed in a suit.

At my bank in New York the Pres/CEO wears whatever he feels like, usually a Brooks Brothers button down and khakis. But, all VP's and up wear suits (even those that cover tech). Analysts and associates could wear dress shirts and wool pants, but it looks sort of stupid not to wear a tie. I wear a suit most of the time, but I only throw on the jacket if I am going to see a boss or client.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  18. stevent

stevent Senior member

This is a lot of false information. Plenty of people wear suits at these companies. Sure if you are an engineer you don't wear one but saying that the advice people give is to not wear a suit is just not true. I interviewed with two of those companies both the interviewer and I wore suits in both interviews.

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I recently had some banking business in Seal Beach, California. All the male employees at the bank, without exception, were in dark, conservative suits.

Suits are less common in SoCal than elsewhere, but far from dead.

20. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

How were the seals?

:confused: