• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit to fancy upscale bars. Good idea?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm genuinely surprised by the feedback here. Do you guys not see people in suits at upscale bars?

I wouldn't wear a suit to a dive bar, but an upscale bar, hotel bar, or any kind of "fancier" setting, I think a suit is really common. I can think of many places in San Francisco where a suit would look very normal at a bar. Vox's IG is basically 10% just him drinking at a bar. Before the lockdown, I had drinks with two people at a rooftop bar in San Francisco and we were all wearing tailored clothing.

65824345_889135801439111_8581581591142410970_n.jpg

iloveshirts

Reaction score
When I see a person wearing a suit in a bar (either upscale or casual, like my own local) my first thought isn’t “My, that gentleman looks well dressed” but “that guy probably came straight from the office”.

There’s nothing wrong with that, of course, and it’s often the truth, but I feel the message it sends isn’t that you made a conscious choice to dress up but that you didn’t have time to go home and change, like an overworked Tokyo salaryman getting a skinful before the last train home. I think a sport coat and odd trousers comes across as a more deliberate effort to dress well. It also gives you more options to mix and match, keeping your look fresh if you regularly visit the same bar.

I am, however, a big supporter of dressing up to the bar, so if your wardrobe is limited go with the suit and enjoy. One of my favourite hobbies is throwing on a tie and revelling in any admiring looks my haggard, married and neutered ass can attract. Helps me forget that I’m rapidly ageing :)

Thank you ever so much for your very detailed and thoughtful reply. I am grateful.

And how many looks do you get sir? It's amazing how many looks you get when out in a suit. I have even had women approach me and exchange numbers!

iloveshirts

Reaction score
I'm genuinely surprised by the feedback here. Do you guys not see people in suits at upscale bars?

I wouldn't wear a suit to a dive bar, but an upscale bar, hotel bar, or any kind of "fancier" setting, I think a suit is really common. I can think of many places in San Francisco where a suit would look very normal at a bar. Vox's IG is basically 10% just him drinking at a bar. Before the lockdown, I had drinks with three people at a rooftop bar in San Francisco and we were all wearing tailored clothing.

View attachment 1601185

That looks like a nice bar. And I too have seen many men out in suits at nice bars during the weekend. Those two chaps in the centre of the pic can you remember if they were wearing sports jacket/odd trousers or was it suit sans tie?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks like a nice bar. And I too have seen many men out in suits at nice bars during the weekend. Those two chaps in the centre of the pic can you remember if they were wearing sports jacket/odd trousers or was it suit sans tie?

That's a photo from Vox, a member who used to post here. He lives in Boston and I wasn't in that setting, so I can't say.

This is the last bar I went to before the lockdown. The photo is again not mine

0363-Proper-171116.jpeg

However, on many days, you also often see people dressed casually. Not uncommon to see a mix of suited people and casually dressed people

0508-Proper-171116.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't wear a suit to a dive bar, but an upscale bar, hotel bar, or any kind of "fancier" setting, I think a suit is really common. I can think of many places in San Francisco where a suit would look very normal at a bar. Vox's IG is basically 10% just him drinking at a bar. Before the lockdown, I had drinks with two people at a rooftop bar in San Francisco and we were all wearing tailored clothing.

View attachment 1601185
Who’s the cheap bastard who ordered water?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score

I wouldn’t know, as upscale bars are kryptonite for me. I drink my beer straight from the bottle and pay $1.92, and the staff at my local see me coming down the street and have a cold one on the table by the time I sit down. Heaven. Being pressured to leave my own version of Cheers for worse, more expensive service at an upscale bar makes me genuinely angry.

And how many looks do you get sir? It's amazing how many looks you get when out in a suit. I have even had women approach me and exchange numbers!

More than my wife would like :p Tailored clothing isn’t all that common in my country, so a little effort goes a very long way. I could have had a very interesting time if I’d learned how to dress well before I got married :)

iloveshirts

Reaction score
I wouldn’t know, as upscale bars are kryptonite for me. I drink my beer straight from the bottle and pay $1.92, and the staff at my local see me coming down the street and have a cold one on the table by the time I sit down. Heaven. Being pressured to leave my own version of Cheers for worse, more expensive service at an upscale bar makes me genuinely angry.

More than my wife would like :p Tailored clothing isn’t all that common in my country, so a little effort goes a very long way. I could have had a very interesting time if I’d learned how to dress well before I got married :)

Well at least you have a good back up plan ?

iloveshirts

Reaction score
That's a photo from Vox, a member who used to post here. He lives in Boston and I wasn't in that setting, so I can't say.

This is the last bar I went to before the lockdown. The photo is again not mine

View attachment 1601188

However, on many days, you also often see people dressed casually. Not uncommon to see a mix of suited people and casually dressed people

View attachment 1601189

Another nice bar it's making me want to go out! Was this pic taken during the week or was it the weekend? Can you remember?

BPL Esq

Reaction score

Sure, but I only suggested that OP consider the actual venue and the manner in which his party, if any, is dressed. Helps to avoid coming off as very #menswear and try-hard by significantly outdressing your companions or ignoring the actual vibe of the particular bar (aside from the cost of drinks and its physical appearance).

I've worn suits out to bars and have seen plenty of others do it as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads