• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a Sport Coat or Blazer Indoors?

Bentley

Reaction score
I have a few nice blazers and sport coats in my closet. I like wearing them but my typical routine is to wear it on the way in to the office and then take it off once I get to my desk. It then stays hanging in my closet for the rest of the day until I go home.

I find this to be the most comfortable way to go about my routines in the office but it seems like a shame to have a nice sport coat/blazer and only wearing it in my car and across the parking lot to and from the office.

Just wondering what others do...am I doing something wrong here?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ +1

I wear my blazer all day, unless it gets hot.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find this to be the most comfortable way to go about my routines in the office

Unless you're cowboy I'm not sure about this. Your jacket shouldn't interfere with anything. You managed to drive with it on

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I take mine off as soon as i get to my office...unless i have a meeting, my coat is hanging up.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same routine here; 'on' to and from work, off at the office with exception of break periods (morning-lunch-afternoon) where I completely leave the building. I'll wear it to meetings ofcourse.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
Mine I only wear in and out and for important meetings, I usualy keep it on my chair when working. I do not want to wrinkle it by wearing it while I sit at my desk and work.

Asian Afro

Reaction score

I find this to be the most comfortable way to go about my routines in the office but it seems like a shame to have a nice sport coat/blazer and only wearing it in my car and across the parking lot to and from the office.

Shouldn't you hang it up in your car as you drive, too? It's better for the coat that way. :)

I take public transit, so I do wear mine during commute, but I hang it up during the day.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shouldn't you hang it up in your car as you drive, too? It's better for the coat that way. :)

Yeah. Might as well just leave it hanging in your closet at home; definitely won't get any nasty wrinkles that way.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think clothing is meant to be worn... It's best to get a blazer/work clothes in a fabric that doesn't wrinkle too much.

Still, I totally understand the sentiment of hanging clothing up while working!

But if you don't wear the jacket at work or in the car... why wear it? Oops, Sanguis beat me to it.

Last edited:

Asian Afro

Reaction score

I think clothing is meant to be worn... It's best to get a blazer/work clothes in a fabric that doesn't wrinkle too much.

Still, I totally understand the sentiment of hanging clothing up while working!

But if you don't wear the jacket at work or in the car... why wear it? Oops, Sanguis beat me to it.

I actually agree with you, but the OP was wondering where else can he show off his beautiful clothes. I was sort of pointing out that nobody would notice the OP's jacket while he's driving, and he's making it wrinkly in the meantime, which is definitely not stylish.

LIke I said, I take the public transit, it's good for a few reasons:
1) People see me in my nice clothes;
2) I learn whether the armholes of my shirt and coat are high enough when I reach for the handhold above me.
3) I also learn just how hard-wearing my coat's fabric is.
4) Whether my coat stays in place after I'm through a crush of people tells me how well it's made to fit me. :)

I also don't get ugly wrinkles on my back.

But yes, if I were to drive to work, I'd be wondering where to wear my coat, too.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually agree with you, but the OP was wondering where else can he show off his beautiful clothes. I was sort of pointing out that nobody would notice the OP's jacket while he's driving, and he's making it wrinkly in the meantime, which is definitely not stylish.

LIke I said, I take the public transit, it's good for a few reasons:
1) People see me in my nice clothes;
2) I learn whether the armholes of my shirt and coat are high enough when I reach for the handhold above me.
3) I also learn just how hard-wearing my coat's fabric is.
4) Whether my coat stays in place after I'm through a crush of people tells me how well it's made to fit me. :)

I also don't get ugly wrinkles on my back.

But yes, if I were to drive to work, I'd be wondering where to wear my coat, too.

Haha, my thoughts precisely about mass transit. I also take the subway to work. I like my high armholes. :slayer:

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Well where I work it is required that men wear a suit and you cannot take the jacket off unless it is after hours (6pm or later).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads