Wearing a ski jacket over a business suit...yea, or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

In extreme cold weather or if you have to move great distances outdoors? Yes. Above 5 farenheit or so or if you're only walking a few steps outside? Not really. Hence my original question about the conditions.

2. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

^ Agreed. In subzero temps a parka, preferably with down, is almost necessary to feel warmth in your upperbody. I used to be skeptical, then I moved to MN and visit Canada once a year in the winter.. it has definitely got me through the winter pretty comfortably. Once you go above freezing like mcbrown said, its not as necessary.

3. Patek

Patek Senior member

Parka, yes.

Ski jacket, no.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1 Agreed with ter1413. I have never and will never do this. It isn't appropriate.
    I recollect GQ or DETAILS magazine suggesting the look a few years ago. Then again, this was the same bunch that suggested tossing your $4,000.00 suit in the washing machine and sporting a hobo look. The damage they have caused to society is immesurable.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

6. ELG

ELG Senior member

If you wear a ski jacket over a suit, you bring shame upon your mother.

7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I used to live in Alaska. I never saw a reason to wear a ski jacket, period. You acclimatize pretty quickly if you live in that kind of environment. I used to wear a regular suit in 20 degree weather and I'd still sweat. The overcoat would only come out for sub zero weather and it did fine.

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Not everyone acclimatizes quickly. I've been living in MI/MN all my life, essentially, can't get used to the cold ever.

9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

That's a fair point, but I do think there are alternatives to a ski jacket that will keep you just as warm. Maybe some people just like em, no skin off my back. But I never saw the need.

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I would not wear that coat with a suit under any circumstances. I don't ever find myself having to hike great distances in blizzard conditions while wearing a suit. Faced with such a proposition, I'd choose not to wear a suit.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Whilst I was in Japan last winter I bought a Ride Capp3l snowboarding jacket in their 'Tailored fit' range that to all external appearances looks like a grey coat but it has all the snowboarding accoutrements. I wore it over suits and it looked quite smart whilst being very weatherproof

12. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Well I think the consensus is that a ski jacket looks atrocious over a suit.

A Parka is definitely okay, and is probably warmer than a Ski Jacket if down filled.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

While I love the look & drama of a tailored overcoat, I don't think there's anything essentially much the matter with pairing a smart-looking parka (assuming it's the same as what we'd call an anorak over here, although that term has less salutory associations) over a tailored jacket. But I think it has to be a smart-looking anorak to work. I'd also add that this looks better IMO with odd jacket outfits rather than formal business suits. Also I find it a practical variant only when it's not sub-zero but still chilly & damp. For colder weather (or what we call cold weather in this country) I prefer a full-length heavy DB overcoat.

14. comrade

comrade Senior member

For really cold weather, single digits or below, the usual dress overcoat will not suffice.
    Unless one owns a true "greatcoat" or a very heavy overcoat, eg the 32 oz. melton British
    Warm that I wore when I lived in Chicago, or an overcoat length shearling, a down coat/
    jacket is OK. I used to walk 5 blocks to and from my train. I also wore "snow boots"
    and put on my dress shoes at work.

15. Willin

Willin Senior member

^Caustic, how is Dubai treating since you sweat in 20 degree Alaskan weather?

I own a Woolrich Arctic Parka. On sub-freezing days it's wonderful to wear while waiting for the bus. The nylon blocks the wind and the down keeps you toasty warm. Though I wouldn't wear it to a business meeting it's also not unsightly. It's great for streetwear as well.