• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a pocket watch with a double-breasted blazer ... what are my traditional options?

orangehaggis

Reaction score
After several decades of only wearing single-breasted jackets with waistcoats, I bought myself something I've always wanted: a double-breasted blazer. Dark blue, brass buttons, the lot. Now I've nowhere to put my watch.

I tried a long chain through the operative front buttonhole, but I didn't like the look. Then, I tried a chain round the neck with the watch in my inside breast pocket but I found that too cumbersome.

I'd be grateful for advice from the membership, and I'd be especially grateful of any vintage images of watches being worn with double-breasted jackets.

Mark -Northeast Ohio

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such an anachronism. Do you always wear a pocket watch?

I always thought the pocket watch was worn in the pocket of the waistcoat.

orangehaggis

Reaction score
Such an anachronism. Do you always wear a pocket watch?

I always thought the pocket watch was worn in the pocket of the waistcoat.

I'm a walking anachronism. I've always worn waistcoats with single-breasted jackets and always wore a watch on my waistcoat. I always wear a hat or cap, too. I admit nothing, but there *might* be a pair of striped trousers, black jacket, waistcoat and bowler in my wardrobe.

I've seen fashion plates showing gentlemen in formal and semi-formal evening dress wearing watches in their trouser and jacket pockets with black grosgrain ribbon fobs. Not right for a blazer, of course.

I usually wear a watch with my formal Highland dress doublet, too.

Mark -Northeast Ohio

paxonus

Reaction score
Have you tried putting the chain through the lapel buttonhole and dropping the watch in the breast pocket?

orangehaggis

Reaction score
Have you tried putting the chain through the lapel buttonhole and dropping the watch in the breast pocket?

I'm aware that it's done, but it wouldn't work for my purposes. I always wear a handkerchief, often silk, in my top pocket.

I don't think it's terribly traditional, either. I've been searching for period photos of gents wearing pocket watches with double-breasted suit jackets, or with sporting attire; blazers, Norfolk jackets, etc. No luck yet. Such images must be out there somewhere.

Mark -Northeast Ohio

paxonus

Reaction score
I'm aware that it's done, but it wouldn't work for my purposes. I always wear a handkerchief, often silk, in my top pocket.

I don't think it's terribly traditional, either. I've been searching for period photos of gents wearing pocket watches with double-breasted suit jackets, or with sporting attire; blazers, Norfolk jackets, etc. No luck yet. Such images must be out there somewhere.

Mark -Northeast Ohio
The only other option I can think of is to put it in an inside breast pocket. You could have the pocket altered so it isn't too deep and the watch would be easier to retrieve.

paxonus

Reaction score
Bertie Wooster is quite traditional.

1614210288992.png

1614210773785.png

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there something in the water in Northeast Ohio?

orangehaggis

Reaction score
Is there something in the water in Northeast Ohio?

I don't know about that, but in order to be a member of the traditionalist Continuing Anglican movement here, one must be an eccentric and suffer from a mild personality defect or twenty. We sing Blake's Jerusalem here once or twice a year: 'In England's Green and Pleasant Land'. Not bad for the Rust Belt.

Mark -Northeast Ohio

paxonus

Reaction score
Bertie Wooster is quite traditional, but were the wardrobe people for Ganada Television/ITV?

You might be right about the inside pocket. I'll probably continue to wear it attached to a chain around my neck and stuck into the pocket unless another idea comes along.

Mark -Northeast Ohio
Take a look here:

orangehaggis

Reaction score
Take a look here:

Thanks for the article. If nothing else, it reminds me that I own a pair of grey leather day gloves. I wonder where I've put them...

Mark -Northeast Ohio

adrianvo

Reaction score
Why can't you just wear a waistcoat with the double-breasted suit jacket?

91823712387123.jpg

Source, IG: yoshimitsu1125

orangehaggis

Reaction score
Why can't you just wear a waistcoat with the double-breasted suit jacket?

View attachment 1570473
Source, IG: yoshimitsu1125

Double breasted jackets really should be worn buttoned. They look far too untidy otherwise.

I came up with a solution last week: attaching the chain to the inside buttonhole and placing the watch in my left inside pocket. It's pretty easy to get to and put back again.

Mark

adrianvo

Reaction score
Double breasted jackets really should be worn buttoned. They look far too untidy otherwise.

I came up with a solution last week: attaching the chain to the inside buttonhole and placing the watch in my left inside pocket. It's pretty easy to get to and put back again.

Mark
Alright. You're free to feel that way, obviously. DB jackets were originally worn with waistcoats, and especially with 6-on-1 buttoning I think it can look very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads