• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a pocket square / lapel flower when boss doesn't?

flix

Reaction score
G'Day Gentlemen!

Is it okay to wear a pocket square with your suit when e.g. my boss never does? What about a lapel flower / boutonnieres?
An employee shouldn't dress better than the boss does, right? But is a pocket square and lapel flower better? Or just different?

Please tell me your opinion, your experiences and share your knowledge. Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers,
Flix!

edit:
It would be while having meetings with customers, presenting products, training of customers, etc...

Last edited:

mcbrown

Reaction score

It would be while having meetings with customers, presenting products, training of customers, etc...

This makes it an especially bad idea. If you work hidden away from customers you usually have more leeway to be seen as "quirky" and deviate from the dress paradigm of your boss. If you have any kind of sales role, forget it. Dress conservatively, which in the modern world (like it or not) means no pocket square and definitely no lapel flower. "Better" has nothing to do with it - you don't want to risk appearing foppish to your customers, especially if your boss isn't.

flix

Reaction score
That's what I thought... Thanks mcbrown!

I'm not really a sales guy. My boss is, I'm just a programmer who supports him with technical issues.

Last edited:

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OneAnswer to all of these questions: if you have to ask, then you should not do it.

Could someone pull this off? Yes of course. But that person did not begin by asking someone else if it was a good idea.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OneAnswer to all of these questions: if you have to ask, then you should not do it.

Could someone pull this off? Yes of course. But that person did not begin by asking someone else if it was a good idea.

As someone who does pull that off, I can say this is entirely correct.

flix

Reaction score
I don't know if it matters. I always thought so - I learned that somewhere...
Recently I wore a lapel flower to work. I got some compliments on it from my colleagues. (Not from my boss, he'd never say something about someone elses clothes as far as I know... ;) )
But that was only in the office, not in a customer meeting or on customer site.

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid it if you're doing any type of customer interfacing. I think a white cotton pocket square would be fine though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads