wearing a Double Breasted sportcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alexpham, Jul 30, 2006.

1. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting a 4x2 or 6x2 double breasted sportcoat in either gray or navy but I am not really sure how to wear it. I usually wear my sportcoats with dark jeans but can I do the same with a double breasted sportcoat?

Also, with a double breasted sportcoat, do I always have to wear a tie?

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

You can wear it without a tie and with jeans if you want I guess, it'll certainly be different than the norm. I've seen a couple of gents wear a DB suit without a tie before, and I'm pretty sure you could pull it off too.

3. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

db sportcoat with jeans looks a bit odd....id stick with SB

The latter is too much of a clash between formal and casual

MrR

4. Jolly Green

Jolly Green Well-Known Member

Manton's book says DB sportcoats are not allowed. Sportcoats are relatively low-formal while DB is relatively high-formal. It's against "the rules" except on navy blazers and maybe linen.

I just read that part tonight.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I agree with what Manton wrote.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Manton's book says DB sportcoats are not allowed. Sportcoats are relatively low-formal while DB is relatively high-formal. It's against "the rules" except on navy blazers and maybe linen.

I just read that part tonight.

Though today DB is seen as formal by many people, DB is actually less formal than SB.

Usually, additional details on a jacket, such as more buttons, make the jacket less formal.

7. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

I've seen a gray glen plaid DB sportcoat from RLPL that was breathtaking. I agree that wearing it with jeans would be too much of a clash but I disagree with the point that a double breasted sport coat shouldn't be worn at all.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Though today DB is seen as formal by many people, DB is actually less formal than SB.

Usually, additional details on a jacket, such as more buttons, make the jacket less formal.

DB is not cateogircally more informal than SB. While a 1 button SB peak lapel with jetted pockets (especially with a matching waistcoat) could be considered more formal than a 6x2 DB (peak lapel, of course), a 3 roll 2 SB notch lapel with hacking pockets is not. The devil, as they say, is in the details.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

True style uses the rules, not the other way around. If you are attracted to a double-breasted sportscoat, then try it with jeans and see how it works. Be a leader and not always a follower.