• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wear to buy jeans...need a place with lots of selection...

vvoc

Reaction score
ok so i just finished wearing my apc new cures for about 6 months, washed them, fades were whatever, but now theyre way too tight and i dont feel like breaking them in anymore...so im int he market for a new pair of jeans

i bought the new cures blindly, just threw viewing others wearing them, this time i want to go to a store that is stocked with a lot of different styles and pairs of jeans so i can try them all on and decide on what i like.... i live in LA area so could someone tell me a good store in the area that stocks a lot of raw denim that i can try on and figure the fit? im thinking co-op would be good, but i want more ideas.... thanks!

i should also mention that i have a price range of 150ish...otherwise i would have bought a pair of diors...

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollywood Trading Company, Co-op, American Rag, Fred Segal/Ron Herman, ....

But yeah, $150 really is pushing it. You pretty much cant get anything other than APC at that price. There is an APC store in Los Angeles now.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could always go to the store and try on what you want to get your sizing. Then shop online!

Keep in mind you get a 20% member discount at Brigade and DenimBar and maybe that can help put some of the other brands into your price range.

Don't under estimate the buy/sell threads here and on SuFu - plenty of great bargains there!

You are lucky to be in LA, there are no stores in Baltimore that carry this stuff so I have to take day-trips to DC, Philly or NYC
tounge.gif

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
you could always go to the store and try on what you want to get your sizing. Then shop online!

I actually have a big problem with this. I feel it is truly not fair to the shop. If you want the good price go online, if you want the service and certainty, go to the storefront.

Like noted though, look at SuFu's marketplace like a hawk and you will find something soon enough.

Cheers,

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I actually have a big problem with this. I feel it is truly not fair to the shop. If you want the good price go online, if you want the service and certainty, go to the storefront.

Like noted though, look at SuFu's marketplace like a hawk and you will find something soon enough.

Cheers,

I don't really see the problem. People try on clothes without buying them all the time and as long as you're not an ass about it the sales staff don't really care.

As far as certainty goes - there is no certainty, the store could be lacking in sizes and stock.

Service - well, I've been to plenty of high-end stores full of snotty sales staff who don't even look up when people walk in the door... does that type of attitude deserve my business?

I would never ask for help or take an associate away from another customer if I had no intention of buying anything - and who knows, maybe I won't buy the jeans there if they are 20% cheaper online but I still could still leave with a less expensive item.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
See, that's why you should pretty much know off hand your measurements and what styles look good on you. I can tell by looking at the measurments, how a jean is going to fit on me so it's a lot easier for me to buy jeans online if i have full measurements and a fit pic. Measure your current jeans using the blue in green method on their website. Then take into account what measurements of your new cures you like a lot and which ones you don't like that much. Then you can kind of estimate where you want them improved.

For example: I like my PBJs but i wish the front rise (9.4") was a touch higher, maybe 9.75"-10". Also, from the knee down it kind of billows into an almost bootcut look even though it's a true straightleg. Therefore i wish they were tapered slightly (8-8.25" knee to a 7.75" hem). Then you can find jeans that fit your "perfect jean" model exactly. Fit pics on buy and sell threads are icing on the cake.

It's not as exact as trying them on, but it's the only way to go if you want to get big deals in the b&s thread here and supermarket on sufu. I mean, you can get jeans at 50% off that way. Someone here is selling a pair of flathead 3001s that haven't even been worn for $210 down from the $280 self edge sells them. It helps make expensive jeans manageable.

vvoc

Reaction score
im assuming the 19cm are the slimmest? i cant seem to decide because i see the fits of these jeans on others and love it or hate it....i love how ns fit saucemaster but not many others...i love how 3001s fit sidneylo from sufu...and 19cm well i love how they fit on most everyone, so i need to see how these jeans fit on me... for instance i love how the 3001s fit sidney here:
waywt_feb18_01.jpg

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Hahaha. Sidney should get a cut from the 3001 sales this past year. His mug is all over the internet.

Sidney actually sized up on his 3001s if i recall. The 3001 cut really is one of the better modern cuts i've seen from the japanese brands. The diors look pretty fantastic on everyone though, as you said. Just search for a deal here or in the supermarket and then take the plunge. Once you try on, buy and sell some jeans, you'll have a better idea of what fits you, and how to get closer the fit you want.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chronoaug, from the problems you describe with your pbj's, skull 501xx is exactly what you're looking for.

to the OP, make the short drive to self edge in san francisco. your dream denim awaits you there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads