• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wear to buy buttons

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace some button on an overcoat. I was wondering wear is a good place to buy high quality buttons on the internet?

acole

Reaction score
Well, I know Ben Silver does real gold monogrammed blazer buttons for ~$1K, but that's probably not what you're after... It's a coincidence that you posted this just now, because not 5 minutes ago I received a "Nordstrom single-breasted 46L" navy wool overcoat I'd bought on ebay. Nice pick-stitching details and peaked lapels. I put it on, and the shoulders felt like a vise while the waist was impossibly large. I looked again, did a double-take at buttons sewn right on top of buttonholes, and eventually realized it was a German 46 DB that somebody "expanded" to an SB.
sneaky2.gif
I need to find about 4 more buttons to restore it to its original state, after which it can make one of you 38L or 40L beanpole types happy.
tounge.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try this link: B. Black & Sons if they don't have what you need on their site, you can call them. i've been to their store in downtown l.a. and they do have pretty much everything.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try giving them a call. I'm looking for specifically the leather overcoat buttons.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try this link: B. Black & Sons if they don't have what you need on their site, you can call them. i've been to their store in downtown l.a. and they do have pretty much everything.
Wow, great link. You're a wealth of information...I'm gonna have to stop by this place. I'm curious, did you end up buying anything when you went?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know you said internet only, but if it were me, I'd scour a couple of thrift shops and look for a cheap coat to rob the buttons from. In my experience, that will end up being an easier and cheaper way to get something you will be happy with. For some reason, good buttons are hard to come by online.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
renault,

i didn't buy anything. i mentioned this place before on the forum. as i recall they had a ton of everything, but the selection of high end wool was fairly small.

if you need some fabric for a suit, there are several places downtown like this one, sans the tailoring supplies.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I know Ben Silver does real gold monogrammed blazer buttons for ~$1K, but that's probably not what you're after... It's a coincidence that you posted this just now, because not 5 minutes ago I received a "Nordstrom single-breasted 46L" navy wool overcoat I'd bought on ebay. Â Nice pick-stitching details and peaked lapels. Â I put it on, and the shoulders felt like a vise while the waist was impossibly large. Â I looked again, did a double-take at buttons sewn right on top of buttonholes, and eventually realized it was a German 46 DB that somebody "expanded" to an SB.
sneaky2.gif
 I need to find about 4 more buttons to restore it to its original state, after which it can make one of you 38L or 40L beanpole types happy.
tounge.gif
Why not return it?

acole

Reaction score
That's an option, of course, but since I only paid ten bucks
smile.gif
I'd rather fix the buttons and either flip it or make a gift of it--there are quite a few 38-40 types in my family. Funny thing is, the seller wrote in his auction "I'm only a 38 so this thing is practically double-breasted on me." If he'd only known.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
demeis, I might be able to help you out. I picked up a vintage Brioni overcoat off eBay; the only thing I don't like about it are the leather buttons. If I can find them, I'm going to replace them with horn--and have a whole bunch of leather buttons to spare. Let me know if you're interested.

Tom

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
demeis, I might be able to help you out.  I picked up a vintage Brioni overcoat off eBay; the only thing I don't like about it are the leather buttons.  If I can find them, I'm going to replace them with horn--and have a whole bunch of leather buttons to spare.  Let me know if you're interested.

Tom
def. intrested are they button in good shape?

wooj

Reaction score
If all else fails, call Tender Buttons (http://tenderbuttons-nyc.com/) in NY. They have an incredible array of buttons from ordinary to hand painted and antique. It's a wonderfully bizarre place to stop by if you happen to be in town. I suggest giving them a call and explain what you are looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads