Weapons on Walls -- Cool or Creepy?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by msza, Aug 25, 2014.

1. msza

msza Senior member

Hey y'all,

Looking for some decorative advice here. I ended up with a couple japanese WWII swords and thought "cool" and put them up on the wall in my bedroom. I've got a new lady friend coming over in a few days and I'm starting to wonder if things like that send creepy vibes. I got them from my grandfather, who is a major collector. I've got a small apartment, so it was bedroom or living room. Cool or creepy?

2. msza

msza Senior member

No thoughts on this? Thought the SF crowd would be all over this.

Certainly, a wall full of Highlander and Lord of the Rings replicas would send one sort of message, but do a couple war swords also scream social leprosy?

Bueller?

3. otc

otc Senior member

Go for it. At least they are anachronistic collectables (I mean...really? fighting with swords in WW2?) and not some goofy fantasy replicas.

May not be everyone's style but they are not gonna send creepy vibes.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

The japanese ones range from factory made junk to stuff that is hundreds of years old. Many japanese soldiers went into battle with their ancestors weapons of they had them available. After WWII the Japanese were required to give up their weapons, including family heirlooms, to be destroyed. Surprisingly (lol) not all of them were destroyed.

In fact a sword made at the forge of the man who developed the style, was collected buy the American troops in WWII from the family that passed it down for generations.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I would save the swords for a time when you have a home office or den to place them in. That's just my opinion.

Perhaps keep them in a display case in the living room on a console table or some such.

6. msza

msza Senior member

Otc – thanks, good to hear.

Skinnygoomba – thanks for the info. Yeah, I checked these out to see if they had ‘ancestral blades,’ but they are both machine made. I’ve read that apparently Japanese citizens are allowed to keep their ancestral blades if they can prove the ancestral connection through the official War Dept or some such, but these mass produced swords will be confiscated because the govt doesn’t view them as being up the standard of traditional Japanese swords.

Whiteslashasian – yeah, I’m actually leaning this way. I’ve had them up on the wall in my bedroom for a couple days now, and it’s not really feeling like ‘me’ to have war weapons in my bedroom. They would be a much better fit in a third room. The problem is that I’m kind of a poor bohemian-type so I may be a long way away from having that illustrious third room!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. SkinnyGoomba

They are changed the policy to prevent the destruction of a lot of heirlooms but when they first introduced the policy at the surrender it was very strict and included everything.

8. nmengsers

nmengsers New Member

It was collected buy the American troops in WWII from the family that passed it down for generations.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  9. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Yeah, I think his current setup is kinda weird, and corny. If he had a cabinet, or an entire room dedicated to weapons... it would be a different story. Blades are cool as fuck.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. SkinnyGoomba

Tough to have an entire room to display your antique weapons when you live in a smaller place, as mentioned the OP lives in an apartment. Given the choice between living room and bedroom, I'd put it in the living room.

I think I would be more unnerved by someone having an armoury in their house than two swords in their living room, but neither would really bother me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  11. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Yeah, I get that he lives in a small place. For now I would just keep them in my closet. Eventually a woman will snoop in there, and will be curious why he has swords. He can make up a real cool story about the swords background, and will seem more interesting to women.

Displaying just a few swords seems like your trying too hard. The cabinet the Marine dad had in American Beauty wasn't bad.

12. msza

msza Senior member

I ended up deciding that the wall was too much, and just put them up against the fireplace in the bedroom. They blend in pretty well, and it seems much more spontaneous (because it was). My bedroom has other historical junk in it 'cause I'm into that sort of thing, so it's a better fit than my living room, which is less stuffy.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

IMO swords on the wall make you look like you're from the trailer park.

14. msza

msza Senior member

Just curious why it strikes you as 'trailer park' ?

15. SkinnyGoomba

I'm a kill bill kind of a guy, so I'm ok with that.