• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We should all be like Karl Lagerfeld

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a great system to use whenever you significant other suggest that your too dress up to go somewhere (I don't know about you but this happens to me quite often, as I tend to dress up all the time). It's called the Karl Lagerfeld system of dressing Just say: "Do you know who karl lagerfeld is? Do you think karl lagerfeld ever wonders if he's casual enough or dresses too flashy? No! He looks in the mirror with his 5 inch high collar, tie bar, tie clip, tie chain, cane, silver gloves, shades (even though it's night time) and all, and says "I'm f***in' Karl Lagerfeld, *****! people need to dress up for me" This is the attitude we should all have.
karl-lagerfeld.jpg

butkusrules

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but Lagerfeld is a moron. Hear what he said when asked about fur coats? Im paraphrasing here but something along the lines of "Its ok because the beasts want to kill us so we might as well kill them first." How far off the beaten path is your frame of reference if you think that is a legitimate answer to the question?

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butkusrules
Kinda off topic but Lagerfeld is a moron. Hear what he said when asked about fur coats? Im paraphrasing here but something along the lines of "Its ok because the beasts want to kill us so we might as well kill them first." How far off the beaten path is your frame of reference if you think that is a legitimate answer to the question?
Haha that's him alright. He's definitely one of my idols, not that his clothes are that nice but hey, he's Karl Lagerfeld. He took chic one step further, or maybe a hundred steps...no wait...he ran 100 miles and then said, "This is chic".

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
He took chic one step further, or maybe a hundred steps...no wait...he ran 100 miles and then said, "This is chic".

That's the beauty of Karl, he knows he's the **** and everybody's opinion of his style is irrelevant.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hear what he said when asked about fur coats? Im paraphrasing here but something along the lines of "Its ok because the beasts want to kill us so we might as well kill them first."
It was taken out of context, fwiw.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Haha that's him alright. He's definitely one of my idols, not that his clothes are that nice but hey, he's Karl Lagerfeld. He took chic one step further, or maybe a hundred steps...no wait...he ran 100 miles and then said, "This is chic".
Originally Posted by robin
It was taken out of context, fwiw.
Yes, it was out of context. Karl also has a very dry sense of humor that a lot of people miss entirely. He knows how to have fun with himself and his image. There is a funny interview with him and Tom Ford floating around the web that shows the two of them having a bit of fun with each other. We have a new Karl discussion about once every six months to a year or so and it always gets the same reactions (basically what we've gotten so far). I like Karl, though he's hardly going to be a model for anybody here. He's at that stage in his life and career that only a few in history have reached. Like Picasso... at this point he can pretty much **** out anything and people will think its great. He IS a unique talent, though, and very smart. Whether we want to make fun of him or what, his role in the history of fashion is clear and he's a force on that stage with which to be reckoned. I hope to look half as good when I'm his age... I think he turns 187 this year. Also, as some of us (like RJmanholebearpig) will attest, there is something slightly cuddly about Dame Karla (he even has a $1500 teddy bear modeled after him!) and we hope that he has at least one cat. It's never been confirmed, but I think her name is Frau Boxleitner and she's lactose intolerant and coughs up hairballs all over his expensive 18th century rugs.

freespirit

Reaction score
"Its ok because the beasts want to kill us so we might as well kill them first."

Wasn't the first part of his answer, that has been taken out, "If people eat animals/flesh, why do they have a problem using the whole of the animal."?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/f...kill-them.html My mistake , should have searched first. It was indeed taken out of context a bit but I still don't think he has a sound argument.
It's not an argument... he's being snarky and dry. That's just the way he is... a lot of people take every word he says seriously, but really, he's having a bit of fun with the interviewer. Give Karl some credit... he's a smart guy. He may be "out there" and a fashion designer, but he's not dumb.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Karl all the way - one of those people who reconsile me with being German.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is pretty glib in the way he puts in, but there is no ethical difference between eating an animal and wearing one, what matters is how it is treated when alive, and how it is killed. And weather it looks or tastes good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads