1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

We should all be like Karl Lagerfeld

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CharlesAlexander, Jan 12, 2009.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

"Lagerfeld also said the issue of size zero models was insignificant compared to the 'zillions' of fat people"

It's obviously a very tounge in cheek interview

OMG! Like, NO. Lagerfeld is SOOOO wrong. I mean, like, "zillion" isn't even a NUMBER.

Karl is so stupid. OMG. [​IMG]

2. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

Upon Yves Saint Laurent's death last year, the local theatre had a showing of Lagerfeld Confidential.

In it, Karl shared memories of his first sexual encounter as a young teenage boy with an older male. Interestingly, his mom blamed it completely on him for being so flirtatious.

Although he seemed very lonely, depressed, and introverted throughout the movie, I was very impressed with what he has done with his artistic development.

- M

3. montyharding

montyharding Senior member

I have a great system to use whenever you significant other suggest that your too dress up to go somewhere (I don't know about you but this happens to me quite often, as I tend to dress up all the time). It's called the Karl Lagerfeld system of dressing Just say: "Do you know who karl lagerfeld is? Do you think karl lagerfeld ever wonders if he's casual enough or dresses too flashy? No! He looks in the mirror with his 5 inch high collar, tie bar, tie clip, tie chain, cane, silver gloves, shades (even though it's night time) and all, and says "I'm f***in' Karl Lagerfeld, bitch! people need to dress up for me" This is the attitude we should all have. [​IMG]
    Do you think he'd dress like that if he didn't forget he was wearing his shades at night?

4. Razele

Razele Senior member

Funny thread.

I think people don't even look at what he wears anymore - that's the beauty of it. He could wear anything, no matter how rediculous, and people would eat it up. Why straight guys care how he dresses is beyond me - why would you want to dress like a gay guy?

Smart guy and alot of people don't give him credit for that. His drafting ability is pretty awesome, apparently.

5. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

Yes! We all HAVE to, especially us eccentric designers!

Now get to it!

This is why we have "designers" like Eric Glennie.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Karl and co once threw a "black ball" attended by hundreds of fashion professionnals and press. There was fisting on stage. The 70s = next level.

It sounds like my breakfast nook.

7. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

That will be Eric Glennie in a few years.

8. Patrician

Patrician Senior member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    I heard he shoots all fashion photos all himself since he thinks everyone fucks it up.

I also heard he owns a book store in Paris where he sometimes works himself, at the counter. Thats cool.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I heard he shoots all fashion photos all himself since he thinks everyone fucks it up.

I also heard he owns a book store in Paris where he sometimes works himself, at the counter. Thats cool.

Publishing house.

10. Patrician

Patrician Senior member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    Publishing house.
    No, a book store. You know, where they sell books [​IMG]

11. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I heard he eats baby bunny rabbits for breakfast. Quick blanching in boiling water to loosen fur, then throws into oven at 365 degrees for 3 minutes.

I heard once that he gave a waiter a signed napkin, for a complimentary wardrobe at his Paris store, because the waiter's oufit was making him nauseated and unable to eat lunch.

I also heard he frequents Styleforum once in a while, with the assistance of his personal assistance.[​IMG]

12. rach2jlc

I heard he eats baby bunny rabbits for breakfast. Quick blanching in boiling water to loosen fur, then throws into oven at 365 degrees for 3 minutes. I heard once that he gave a waiter a signed napkin, for a complimentary wardrobe at his Paris store, because the waiter's oufit was making him nauseated and unable to eat lunch. I also heard he frequents Styleforum once in a while, with the assistance of his personal assistance.[​IMG]
    I also heard he served as an Infantryman in the Crimean War. It's one of the more plausible sounding legends about Dame Karla.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

No, a book store. You know, where they sell books [​IMG]

You mean 7L but he also publishes books. I just didn't feel like writing a complete sentence.

14. rach2jlc

You know, I've just been informed by a fellow snarktastic denizen of teh Karla who will remain nameless, that not only did he serve in Crimea, but that he was in the Kaiser's Royal Linzer Mincers, who successfully fought off the Charge of the Light-in-teh-Loafers Brigade.

Further, like Walk Whitman, he also served as a nurse in drag, calling himself Frau Florenze Nachtingele, wherein he saved the most fabulous privates.

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Fashion PlatesThe weird and wonderful dieting advice of Karl Lagerfeld. By Amanda Fortini http://www.slate.com/id/2120489/ "Four years ago, when the couturier Karl Lagerfeld dropped 92 pounds in 13 months, a public obsessed with the vicissitudes of celebrity weight took notice. How did a man who once swathed his ample girth in layers of oversized black clothing, who hid his double chin behind a fluttering Spanish fan, manage to lose the fleshly equivalent of an adolescent girl? The press blamed drugs, liposuction, illness, anorexia. But the gossip was merely a pretext to pose the question that arises whenever a celebrity trims down: How did he shed the weight? Never one to miss a lucrative opportunity, Lagerfeld, who has designed for Chanel since 1983, codified his diet secrets in book form. Since its 2004 publication, The Karl Lagerfeld Diet has sold nearly 200,000 copies in Europe and Asia, and last month it was released in America. Not that you would know. In a country where diet manuals are the national literature, the book has received scant attention. Perhaps this is because The Karl Lagerfeld Diet makes few concessions for an American audience, aside from changing kilos to pounds and "fat people" to "overweight." Unlike the best-selling French Women Don't Get Fat, whose Gallic philosophy is presented in a relentlessly cheerful tone, The Karl Lagerfeld Diet arrives stateside boasting snooty European airs. To Americans, it no doubt appears as odd and incongruous as a chevalier at a state fair. Though the regimen bears the designer's famous name, it's actually the creation of Lagerfeld's Parisian physician, Jean-Claude Houdret, who pens most of the book, with Lagerfeld swooping in on occasion. The diet, also called "The Spoonlight Program," is a low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie affair that is unmistakably French. The book includes recipes for dishes such as fish soufflÃ[​IMG], quail flambÃ[​IMG], ham and raspberry mousse, vegetables in aspic, and roast guinea fowl with tarragon. One meal per day must consist of Slim Fast-style "protein sachets," available in delectable flavors like "cream soup," "egg-based custard," and "bread and cakes." And health-conscious readers will recognize certain recommendations as suspect: Houdret encourages the liberal use of artificial sweeteners and diet sodas and discourages exercise because it "runs the risk of making you hungry." If dieters do feel peckish—at 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day this is a very real prospect—they should not despair. "You can have a little homeopathic granule if you are very hungry," Lagerfeld says indulgently. Unlike most American gurus, who optimistically insist that dieters need never feel hungry, Lagerfeld and Houdret view deprivation as part of the project of slimming down. "It has to be a sort of punishment," the German-born Lagerfeld tells Ingrid Sischy in a prefatory interview. A dieter, he tells her, must submit to his own martial law: "You are a general and you have a single soldier in your army. You must give him instructions and he must carry them out. It may annoy him but he has no choice." But it's Houdret who takes the book's bleak, unforgiving tone to its extreme. "Do you have enough moral strength?" he demands, a drill sergeant barking at recruits. "Without real commitment, without the determination to understand and accept the diet, all those who embark upon it are destined to failure." Imagine Suzanne Somers saying that. Of course, maintaining an iron will is easy if one has minimal contact with food. Lagerfeld lives like an Old-World aristocrat ("The only calendar I follow is that of circumstance and desire"), with homes in Paris, Biarritz, and Monte Carlo, and he has a personal chef to cook his meals. "I enjoy eating what my chef prepares for me. ... I also appreciate his little discoveries such as mixing my protein supplements with sauces, soups, or soufflÃ[​IMG]s" he says, apparently unaware that his readers may be flambÃ[​IMG]ing the quail themselves. With regard to leftovers, the book urges, "Throw them away! That way you won't be tempted to finish them." Hardly a cost-effective solution when you're dining on guinea fowl and veal. Perhaps most alien, and potentially alienating, is the book's unapologetic emphasis on appearance. Lagerfeld repeatedly states that fashion, specifically the desire to wear the superslim fashions of the aptly named Hedi Slimane (who designs for Dior Homme), motivated him. When discussing their belief in the importance of one's exterior, Lagerfeld and Houdret, clearly a like-minded pair, don't mince words. "In order to have a place in society," Houdret writes, "both men and women have to be active, good looking and above all young—and therefore slim." Lagerfeld, ever extenuatory, puts it more concisely: "A respectable appearance is sufficient to make people more interested in your soul." Such an opinion is seldom heard in this country, where we tend to be embarrassed about superficiality. Instead, Americans often speak of dieting as a spiritual quest—a view that Lagerfeld sniffs at as "literary psychology." "A diet does not need a philosophical explanation, nor all those excuses behind which people often feel the need to take refuge," he tells Sischy. As silly as all this is, it's also refreshing. Lagerfeld explains that losing weight for sartorial reasons is a clever form of reverse psychology. "Going on a diet because of clothes is a completely different thing," he says. "It's a superficial reason; there's no obligation, nothing in your life depends upon it, apart from your wardrobe. ... You have to treat it as an unimportant challenge and that's why you succeed." Indeed, it may be easier to drop a few (or 90) pounds if the endeavor is not treated as such a, well, weighty matter. True to its Continental spirit, The Karl Lagerfeld Diet concludes with a peculiar literary exploration of the dandy—evidently because Lagerfeld, with his starched-collar shirts and willfully eccentric attitudes, fancies himself a Wildean character. Americans might not have given much thought to the plight of the dandy in modern society, but Houdret insists it is a critical issue. "Dandies have to put up with all sorts of irritation and insults," he writes. "Often criticized and sometimes jeered at, they are in a perpetual state of conflict with themselves—torn between what they are and what they would like to be, trying to achieve harmony with their ideal." So, if the diet fails to catch on with the overweight, who may prefer their fish fried to flambÃ[​IMG]ed, it may still find a sympathetic audience among America's vast, underrepresented dandy population." http://www.slate.com/id/2120489/

16. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

You know, I've just been informed by a fellow snarktastic denizen of teh Karla who will remain nameless, that not only did he serve in Crimea, but that he was in the Kaiser's Royal Linzer Mincers, who successfully fought off the Charge of the Light-in-teh-Loafers Brigade.

Further, like Walk Whitman, he also served as a nurse in drag, calling himself Frau Florenze Nachtingele, wherein he saved the most fabulous privates.

[​IMG] This is great.

Can I start a blog, just so I can have guest entries by the Purveyor Of All Things Fabulous?

17. rach2jlc

[​IMG] This is great.

Can I start a blog, just so I can have guest entries by the Purveyor Of All Things Fabulous?

Well... it was a collaborative effort, with large parts RJmanholebearpig, small parts Prof. Fab.

18. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Four years ago, when the couturier Karl Lagerfeld dropped 92 pounds in 13 months, a public obsessed with . . .

Come on.

Wholesale quotes without attribution are lazy at best or outright plagiarism at worst. If you took the time to lift this article word for word, take another few seconds and give some credit to both Slate and Ms. Fortini in this instance.

[​IMG]

___

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Kinda off topic but Lagerfeld is a moron. Hear what he said when asked about fur coats? Im paraphrasing here but something along the lines of "Its ok because the beasts want to kill us so we might as well kill them first." How far off the beaten path is your frame of reference if you think that is a legitimate answer to the question?

im pretty sure he said this tongue in cheek, but however, this is my set of beliefs, man is a master over all beasts and i believe we can respectfully do anything to them to acquire any value out of them.