• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We seem to be getting a lot of spam in here lately.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the mods to clean it up?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT

examples???

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
examples???
"I use Office 2010 Pro Plus Upgrade Key and play music files with Microsoft Office 2010 Home And Business 32 Bit media player. Some mp3 files automatically download the album Office 2010 Home And Student Upgrade Key and I don't want to see these album photos. Most of the mp3 files don't have Office Home And Student 2010 Update Key but some like Paparoach automatically downloads Office Pro Plus 2010 32bit photo and it's disgusting."
Maybe registration for SF needs tightening up?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

strong User Name to Thread Subject ratio

yeeth

Reaction score
"I use Office 2010 Pro Plus Upgrade Key
and play music files with Microsoft Office 2010 Home And Business 32 Bit
media player. Some mp3 files automatically download the album Office 2010 Home And Student Upgrade Key
and I don't want to see these album photos. Most of the mp3 files don't have Office Home And Student 2010 Update Key
but some like Paparoach automatically downloads Office Pro Plus 2010 32bit
photo and it's disgusting."

Maybe registration for SF needs tightening up?

those are probably some sort of bots, though how they got around the captcha's eludes me...

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeeth
those are probably some sort of bots,

Yes human bots, aka 'Mechanical Turk'.

Originally Posted by yeeth
though how they got around the captcha's eludes me...

I have read that some spammers pay people in third-world countries something like 5 cents an hour to solve CAPTCHAs. I don't think that ReCAPTCHA, as used by SF has been cracked by computer yet. Although many CAPTCHA methods have been defeated using advanced OCR techniques, prediction algorithms, etc.

I do know that some forums have a 24hour waiting period before new members can post, while others moderate a new member's first few posts to make sure they're not spam. Although the latter requires a lot more work from the mods.

Reaction score
Yes human bots, aka 'Mechanical Turk'.

I have read that some spammers pay people in third-world countries something like 5 cents an hour to solve CAPTCHAs. I don't think that ReCAPTCHA, as used by SF has been cracked by computer yet. Although many CAPTCHA methods have been defeated using advanced OCR techniques, prediction algorithms, etc.

I do know that some forums have a 24hour waiting period before new members can post, while others moderate a new member's first few posts to make sure they're not spam. Although the latter requires a lot more work from the mods.

First of all I can see you are in China just like myself.

So how do you know all this stuff?

And how is that even suppose to work? That is if I pay you to solve the CAPTCHA, how does that help the bots or how is all of that related to the bots?

Does that mean you solve the CAPTCHA in the place of the bots?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Billyinthehood
First of all I can see you are in China just like myself. So how do you know all this stuff?
I make it my business to study it. Hacking, cracking and computer security is an interest of mine.
Originally Posted by Billyinthehood
And how is that even suppose to work? That is if I pay you to solve the CAPTCHA, how does that help the bots or how is all of that related to the bots? Does that mean you solve the CAPTCHA in the place of the bots?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/te...ref=technology "Sophisticated spammers are paying people in India, Bangladesh, China and other developing countries to tackle the simple tests known as captchas, which ask Web users to type in a string of semiobscured characters to prove they are human beings and not spam-generating robots. The going rate for the work ranges from 80 cents to $1.20 for each 1,000 deciphered boxes, according to online exchanges like Freelancer.com, where dozens of such projects are bid on every week."

MasterW

Reaction score
Does this means spammers using bots can now simply use human to solve the CAPTCHA and then the bots to make the spam posts?

If so why not just pay the "humans" to make both the post and solve the CAPTCHA altogether?

I have always seen these projects on freelancer but I never new this was how it works.

Smithman

Reaction score
Spammers are every where, and no matter how you try to stop them, you can never be success because just as your job is to stop them, so is theirs to spam. So the more clever you become at stopping them, the more clever they too become at getting around. It is a vicious situation. And my guess is that we will have to just admit that spammers are part of the www and are not going any where any time soon. In fact they are here to stay.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka