• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We don't need to see this

Ramses

Reaction score
OLDBOY is a film on a level all it's own, for revenue, Hollywood feels the need to **** it and I would really perfer they just leave it alone. Remaking this film would be a disaster because there are ZERO american actors/actress that can match the performances in the film. My question is this,

Are there any films that were remade that should have been left alone and simply given more press because the orinigal could not be matched?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Importance Of Being Earnest
The film of the Wilde play was re-made a year or so ago with Rupert Everett and some American popsy.
No match for the original film with Edith Evans and Michael Redgrave et al.

One of many, no doubt, that will be pinpointed.
Of course, re-interpriting/re-creating 'art' is of little interest to Hollywood nowadays.: $$$$

I could say: 'I thought it sensible not to watch, sir.'

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ramses
Are there any films that were remade that should have been left alone and simply given more press because the orinigal could not be matched?

from the "fave Euro movie" thread, City of Angels shouldnt have been made because Wings of Desire was a perfect film.

Nick Cave>Nick Cage

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
That one letter makes all the difference....

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
from the "fave Euro movie" thread, City of Angels shouldnt have been made because Wings of Desire was a perfect film.

Nick Cave>Nick Cage

lol8[1].gif

I agree.

I am still terrified that some bastard will end up remaking Ikiru in the USA (starring Tom Hanks purportedly).
S-A-C-R-I-L-E-G-E!

Hawkeye

Reaction score
They're remaking Oldboy?!

Another stupid one is Infernal Affairs, eh, no I can't wait to see the new one.

Alright, I like Gus Van Sant, but Psyco shot by shot is stupid, it should be illegal to remake Hitchcock anyway.

Also, the original The Vanishing, way creepier than Jeff Bridges Kiefer Sutherland version. That should go in the European thread too.

I'll take Manhunter over Red Dragon any day too, Brian Cox as Lecktor, Michael Mann... come on!

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Also, the original The Vanishing, way creepier than Jeff Bridges Kiefer Sutherland version. That should go in the European thread too.

Already taken care of.

I agree with you regarding Manhunter/Red Dragon, as well, although I've always found the action in the climax of Manhunter a bit difficult to follow.

Newton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
They're remaking Oldboy?!

Another stupid one is Infernal Affairs, eh, no I can't wait to see the new one.

Alright, I like Gus Van Sant, but Psyco shot by shot is stupid, it should be illegal to remake Hitchcock anyway.

I'll take Manhunter over Red Dragon any day too, Brian Cox as Lecktor, Michael Mann... come on!

Van Sant has given a lot to my cinema going life.

I'll watch Psycho if it ever comes out.

--

Importance of Being Earnest is a different kettle of fish. It reads great in a book but all attempts to put it to film simply painful.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
lol8[1].gif
I agree. I am still terrified that some bastard will end up remaking Ikiru in the USA (starring Tom Hanks purportedly). S-A-C-R-I-L-E-G-E!

I would go on a shooting spree the likes of which Hollywood has never seen before. Message to Hollywood: Don't. Touch. Kurosawa. Well, The Magnificent Seven was pretty good...but other than that, no remakes of Kurosawa!

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Alfie
Abre Los Ojos...

Dont be surprised if Tom Cruise gets to play the lead role in old boy as well.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
One for the Euro thread is "Taxi," the original Luc Besson film. The original was brilliantly and didn't resort to hiring people like the unfunny Jimmy Fallon and the lower common denominator Queen Latifah for cheap laughs. Not to mention the original used real driving sequences and didn't rely on CGI.

Another Besson is "La Femme Nikita" which should never have been turned into that crapfest known as "Point of No Return."

Kudos to the Vanishing. The French really made it work.

I might argue for "47 Ronin" being done as the "remake" "Ronin," but I see them both as very different films not to mention "Ronin" is probably the best driving film to date.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
La Femme Nikita which became Point of No Return with Bridget Fonda...ooops...just read whodini's post...
Shall We Dance (not sure what the original Japanese title was) which became Shall We Dance with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez.

and a little OT but ANY video game should never be made into a movie.

-Jeff

Stax

Reaction score
7178.jpg

050526_ArtsNelly_hu.hmedium.jpg

________

Planet.jpg

apes2.jpg

________

badnewsbears.jpg

bad-news-bears-5.jpg

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

Nick Cave>Nick Cage

In fairness, Wenders didn't exactly do his masterpiece justice with its sequel, "In weiter Ferne, so nah!", either Not that it's a bad movie, but it's not a quarter of the original.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
+1 on the Bad News Bears.
Some time back, Bill Simmons had a hilarious espn.com column comparing the two versions

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics