• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We discuss and review Trustpilot: Who watches the Watchmen?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.bluefly.com - CLEARANCE ALERT! Up To 80% Off Armani, Burberry, Brooks Brothers & More

Check out their Trustpilot reviews.

I'm willing to accept that a lot of those reviews could be the result of corporate espionage, but I'm still wary, especially because the majority of their stock is through third-party sellers.

sandfourman

Reaction score

I'm willing to accept that a lot of those reviews could be the result of corporate espionage, but I'm still wary, especially because the majority of their stock is through third-party sellers.
i've ordered with them in the past. The item i got wear some sneakers that were legit. the only problem i have is the site is awful to look through.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered some Alexander McQueen Pumas from them many many years ago. Everything went fine, but that was my only experience with them and it was a long time ago.

They changed format sometime in the last couple years, opening up to being a platform for third-party sellers in addition to carrying their own stock and undoubtedly as part of an acquisition.

I'm sure there are those who have had successful experiences (just as I had a fine experience the one time I ordered from 18montrose and never had a problem with oki-ni back before their re-acquisition). But those reviews, and the fact that private sellers - and really people in general - can suck should give one pause.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In my experience, the third parties are just other big companies, like Hautelook or whatever. I don't ever trust reviews from companies like TrustPilot, ironically. I think that the "Trip Advisor" effect is in full swing for online reviews. The positive reviews are over the top, but the negative ones are usually just a couple of really disgruntled customers posting everywhere because internet+too much time.

Reactions: rio

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the third parties are just other big companies, like Hautelook or whatever. I don't ever trust reviews from companies like TrustPilot, ironically. I think that the "Trip Advisor" effect is in full swing for online reviews. The positive reviews are over the top, but the negative ones are usually just a couple of really disgruntled customers posting everywhere because internet+too much time.

I'm generally with you on this, but there are near-four full pages of bad reviews here. Normally I ignore the reviews, but after some experience the thought of waiting weeks for an order or months to process a return deters me from ordering from places with this kind of feedback. But, like I said, it's possible this is some shadow ops **** from a competitor.

I did not know that big companies were selling via each other's marketplaces. That's interesting.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went and read some of the reviews and you have to be pretty clueless to pay any attention

Trust pilot ratings on other sites:
mrporter: 3.9/10 - ‎99 reviews
matchesfashion: 9.3/10 - ‎31,829 reviews (I can't find any store with more than a couple hundred reviews. this seems fake?)
nike: 4.4/10 - ‎376 reviews
yoox: 1.2/10 - ‎82 reviews

it's all bullshit man. there's really no need to worry when purchasing something with a credit card on any of these big sites

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's all bullshit man. there's really no need to worry when purchasing something with a credit card on any of these big sites

MGS12.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm generally with you on this, but there are near-four full pages of bad reviews here. Normally I ignore the reviews, but after some experience the thought of waiting weeks for an order or months to process a return deters me from ordering from places with this kind of feedback. But, like I said, it's possible this is some shadow ops **** from a competitor.

I did not know that big companies were selling via each other's marketplaces. That's interesting.
i'm going to move this entire conversation out of the sales thread, since it has nearly nothing to do with sales. but it's probably not shadow ops or anything like that. The simplest explanation is that Trustpilot is a nearly completely useless website unless you have something to vent about.

As for returns, with very few exceptions (like Yoox and MrPorter, so maybe support the net a Porter/Yoox group) stores are often trying to pass the buck back to the vendors, who obviously often push back, because the real culprit is often not either company, but some cheap asshole who thinks that sending back their broke ass merchandise is going to hurt nobody, just some corporation.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm going to move this entire conversation out of the sales thread, since it has nearly nothing to do with sales. but it's probably not shadow ops or anything like that. The simplest explanation is that Trustpilot is a nearly completely useless website unless you have something to vent about.

As for returns, with very few exceptions (like Yoox and MrPorter, so maybe support the net a Porter/Yoox group) stores are often trying to pass the buck back to the vendors, who obviously often push back, because the real culprit is often not either company, but some cheap asshole who thinks that sending back their broke ass merchandise is going to hurt nobody, just some corporation.

If it was received in broke ass condition, though...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was received in broke ass condition, though...
Oh, I didn't say it was your fault either. But let's face it, the likelihood of it simply not having passed QA/QC is pretty low for something obvious like a rip in the leather, and it's more likely that someone returned it busted and said nothing to avoid their return being rejected, and you got stuck with what should have been someone else's problem.

Anyone who has worked in retail or in a service job can all tell you: people suck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads