WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Dec 7, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is really amazing and especially sad.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Agreed. Can you please explain Stirling? I prefer this fit to one where there is no gap at all and the shoe feels loose across the lacing.

I think if anything they are saying the shoes are too small on Namor or that his instep is too high for the shoe.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

3. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Got it via pm, here you go:
    If you look at Namor's shoes the large v shape formed by the lacing indicates that either he has a very high instep or that the shoes are very snug. Given the bulbous way the rest of the shoe appears, it's likely the shoe is too small for him.

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is to avoid either.

i give him the credit that he's breaking them in and didn't tie tight. only he can tell us.

according to the picture there are a few quirks all over, which makes me believe that finally this last is not for him and in the future he probably chooses lasts which accomodate his feet's features better. e.g. the marlow/darlton which has more room in the forefoot and over the instep. at least still hypothetical, anyway.

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks.

The Marlows/Darltons, not sure which ones you are referring to because I think those refer to tassel loafers, PTBs, pennys, and LWBs, but assume you are referring to either the PTBs or LWBs would naturally accommodate for more room in the instep because they are derbys no?

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

actually, this is a rule of thumb but also, imo.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

You guys are hilarious. :laugh:

8. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Doesn't matter to me really, I am not that snobbish in reality. What I was commenting on were the shoes, not the way that they fit him...not all people have perfect feet to which every shoe will fit perfectly on them.....

This is a bit harsh and naive in my opinion, at least in reference to this situation. From what I have seen of NAMOR and the amount of shoes that he does have, I am sure that he knows fit quite well. But that being, it is evident that he has a very high instep and is not tying them tightly as it probably causes too much pressure on his foot. And just because one has a high instep does not mean that they should resort to derby's for the rest of their life....it really does not look that bad to have a gap in the facing....And for someone to concentrate on that is just obsessive in my opinion. The forefoot creases seem to fall in the right place, indicating a good fit length wise....

And just so you know....there is not right or wrong when it comes to shoe size.....It is all amazingly subjective across the different cultures.... For example many Europeans measure at a 45 but will wear a 42 and think that this is the way that it should be (like the French and Italians) and many Americans will measure at 8 and will wear 10. It's not about what is right and what is wrong, it is about how people feel comfortable in their shoes. Proper fit is not always that easy to decipher and is often very subjective....

The only "proper" fit is fitting to your arch, but this does not always look nice either as some people have long narrow feet that would take a length size 10, but need the width of a size 8 or some people have neanderthal feet and therefore have the width of a size 11 but length of a size 9......if there is not MTO nor bespoke option, what are they to do???

His shoes are too tight, not too big....you see this by the spreading of the lace area. On oxfords in particular, if the shoe is too tight, you will see that the person cannot close their laces to the point where the leather around the holes touches itself. It therefore creates a V-shape, indicating that the instep of the shoe is too high for that model or size.....

9. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Hehe it's funny when looking at it again now. Now everytime someone post a shoe-picture I will notice this :D

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

thanks for taking your time. we said more or less the same... ...but it's good to have another educated opinion.

11. The Shoe Snob

No worries Fritzl....

glad to put my two cents in where I feel it's needed...

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

sure, we're all here to learn from the best.

13. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

14. The Shoe Snob

15. diglett

diglett Senior member

I feel compelled to chime in: As Handmadeshoes mentioned, if someone's instep is so high that it forces a "V" to appear on closed-lace shoes, what choice do they have besides (1) dealing with it, and (2) buying bespoke? Sure, you might be able to find a different last, but if your instep is too high on a common-fitting last, your selection will probably be very limited.

I'm still quite new to all of this, but after wearing the wrong size sneakers for years (12 instead of 10), I'd much rather have a snug, comfortable fit on the toes and balls of my feet than I would a fit with no "V" in the lacing.