WAYWRN - Peacock Edition

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NORE, Aug 1, 2012.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed. it is one thing to be expressive but there is such a thing as a train wreck.

You can't defend any combination as Sprezz or Peacocking and still consider yourself stylish. Some things just look awful.

I believe this thread is to show how to be successful at being expressive and not just any random combination. What would be the point of that? That isn't style.

2. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

And there is a difference between feedback and being a snarky dick.

Read the OP's first post:

I like to wear bright colors and patterns that most other men wouldn't dare wear. I do this because it is an expression of my style and I don't need anyone telling me that what I have donned today is "too over the top" or whatever. So I started this thread for those of you who fancy short jackets, fitted pants with no break, 3" cuffs, spread collars, bright colors and odd jackets that would make some of these clothing experts lose it. This thread is for you. For you who aren't boxed in by corporate correct dress. Post your style. Cross-post it. Here you won't be judged. After all, this isStyleForum, isn't it?

[​IMG]

3. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Here here. Especially with respect to: some things just look awful. I recognize peacocking for all its intent and purposes, but one must recognize that certain things, no matter how intrinsic a person believes that "thing" is to their expression of their own self, just looks batsh*t awful. I say that knowing that I am wrong: any person can always argue that what I think is awful is actually very much in taste and wonderful. Hell, most fashion shows do it by simply existing. But I like to think there will always exist a single boundary, definitive and firm, that beyond which lies the land of "that looks f*cking stupid".

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Frankie, not only is niidawg right, he's a longstanding forum member, a seriously good dresser, is very knowledgable and generally seems like a nice guy. It's yet to be established that you are any of these things. So please try to have a bit more respect.

5. BrizzleCizzle

Haha. Umm... I guess I'm about to get called a snarky dick. And, to your point, I wouldn't make it my place to look at someone and judge them... at least not to their face. I'd let them carry about in their own glee of expression.

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

What if I'm trying to fit into the corporate dress AND want to peacock? This is the lining of the blazer I'm wearing today. This, however, is not my picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  7. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

waa? please show some respect to the dawg..just saying

8. GusW

(This goes for Frankie as well as the OP) Because this is Styleforum feedback and sharing of information is why we are here. (And good posters offer constructive feedback) Otherwise go post pics and comments to a blog where you are free to have a oneway conversation. A forum implies feedback. So be prepared for it.

9. BrizzleCizzle

I'm unsure as to whether you're being sarcastic or not, but I truly enjoy flashy linings in otherwise demure jackets.

10. bourbonbasted

Not sarcastic in the least. This is in fact the blazer I'm wearing. However, I'm wearing it as a part of a California tuxedo that, to the passerby, is quite boring.

11. GusW

That is a loaded question. It completely depends upon where you work, your clients, etc...

Also what do you mean by corporate dress? Suit dress code?

I think if you wore that suit in many situations you could be considered a disrespectful clown. In other situations, such as attending an art gallery opening or working at a home decor trade show you might be admired.

12. bourbonbasted

It was more of a tongue-in-cheek post about being both CBD and peacock. In reality, if you work someplace where you can wear anything nearing flashy or "fun" without raising eyebrows, then you're not really in a strict CBD environment. At least that's my opinion.

I'm the only one in my office today wearing a SC so I think I'm in the clear. That said, I'll also be wearing it to the bars this evening. Which I feel is its true natural environment. I wouldn't wear this to anywhere overly austere or formal.

And, for the record, is a very conservative deep navy (almost midnight blue) patch-pocket blazer. So, unless you were to see the lining, it is quite standard and conservative.

13. BrizzleCizzle

Truth. At least that's my interpretation.

14. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

I can appreciate that.
    I called out a douchy comment for what it was. If dawg (or anyone else) can call others clothing bad/atrocious and talk about people posting trashy items, I am allowed to voice my opinion on his/their comments as well. I would expect an established poster to offer more than (paraphrasing) : That's all horrible, atrocious, I like that, lots of trash posted - come on people step it up".

15. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Again there is a difference between constructive feedback and telling people their clothing sucks when said posters are not asking for that type of feedback, or calling people trashy. I have no problem with what was said. I called a spade a spade and said it was a douchy comment which it was. So perhaps be prepared for that type of feedback as well.