1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN Friday Challenge 19/04/13: Fifty Shades of Grey

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SharplyTailored, Apr 16, 2013.

Best monochrome outfit?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2013.
  1. SharplyTailored

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. upr_crust

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. TTO

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. steffenbp11

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. Holdfast

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. in stitches

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. sugarbutch

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. Kappelan

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Licious

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  10. Spoopoker

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  11. Thin White Duke

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:laugh:

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

At least he hasn't asked me to flip the light switch or turn on the oven.

Stitchy, I'll start the thread and the poll for you.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Post up a new thread stitchy, so those who don't automatically read older threads can see what's this week's theme. :)

I have a vague idea of an outfit that might work, depending on the weather, so I'm probably in.

Having said that, I'm not sure what's non-SF approved about the white shirt. White shirt with rustic/wintery/tweedy odd jackets, sure, that does look wonky IMO (but can be rescued by a very casual/rough shirt fabric) but white shirt with an odd jacket in general is fine and I don't think anyone's criticised that in principle, have they? For example, white shirt with a blazer is classic in anyone's book, as would be a white shirt with e.g. a linen or seersucker jacket.

Also, the red tie has only proven tricksy when it's fire-engine red and worn with a suit in an 80s "power" throwback kind of way. Plenty of other darker shades have been more liked by many here, I think. I may be out of the loop on this, however, I admit. The above is my feeling on it, anyway.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

All that seems very reasonable and would hold well in a place where such reasonableness is grown and nurtured...but as the manliest of men proclaims in a film lacking any homoerotic undertones: THIS IS SPARTA!

5. FillW

FillW Senior member

I may submit a pic for this. It'll probably suck cause I've never done it before but what the hell. [​IMG]

6. FillW

FillW Senior member

That big guy with all the piercings seemed pretty...you know...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

not yet anyways, and thanks!

who cares! it will be fun. and probably wont suck as much as you think.

8. FillW

FillW Senior member

I still would like to see the mother of all Fit Battles/Challenges:

SpooPoker vs Victor!

With both of them aware of the contest and doing their best to beat the other. [​IMG]

Stitches: Just about anyone on this forum would probably wipe the floor with me. ha ha

Was that guy "wannabee" a creation of Vox? It seems like he disappeared when Vox did.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. in stitches

HF - hopefully SB will put up the new thread shortly, and SB, you are welcome to include some of the fun quotes from here to get the new one started with some steam. as well the explanation below.

HF - regarding your other comments. you are 100%. and that is kind of the point. there is a strong groupthink that has presented itself here saying that with a SC the shirt pretty much must be blue and that pretty much all red ties are no bueno.

general idea is that:

white shirt = formal and SC = not formal. hence they may not be seen together.

red tie = too loud. no good.

however, i think that while those can be true, its not a hard and fast rule, as there are few flat line rules about what looks good. the challenge then is to show that when done well these things can coalesce and look good, and dare i say, tasteful.

10. in stitches

:slayer: great job. thank you shugz.