• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there is an opening for a new Foo. So if you have these strongly held opinions one way or another, I'd honestly love to read them--perhaps in your own curated thread. I mean, I think part of the reason this thread isn't as active is because who wants to talk about a bunch fits that are generally regarded as good? No one, because it's boring as hell. But a ruthless "why this doesn't work" thread could be great--kind of an evil step sister to the Noodles thread.

One of the great improvements on SF is the decline of snark and outright cruelty since 'the old days', when beginners were slaughtered and when many threads used to quickly degenerate into really stupid slanging matches even between supposedly intelligent posters. I don't miss that aspect.

grade

Reaction score
One of the great improvements on SF is the decline of snark and outright cruelty since 'the old days', when beginners were slaughtered and when many threads used to quickly degenerate into really stupid slanging matches even between supposedly intelligent posters. I don't miss that aspect.
Eh, I don't think unsolicited criticism needs to be snarky or cruel, necessarily. But honest, pointed critiques have led to some of the best discourse on this here forum. I'd point to the cream square and white shirt discussions as examples of that. I mean, people were lining up to get "foofed" back in the day--it can be fun. And on the internet everything devolves, eventually--no reason not to shake things up.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with your point regarding photography being more emphasized lately.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, there is an opening for a new Foo.  So if you have these strongly held opinions one way or another, I'd honestly love to read them--perhaps in your own curated thread.  I mean, I think part of the reason this thread isn't as active is because who wants to talk about a bunch fits that are generally regarded as good?  No one, because it's boring as hell.  But a ruthless "why this doesn't work" thread could be great--kind of an evil step sister to the Noodles thread.

I have strong feelings, but Im also not a pretentious unforgivingly unapologetic smug asshole windbag. Not to imply than anyone in specific is.

All the same, you are right. There are generally much more meaty talking points when it comes to critique than praise.

To that point, I think that I will take your suggestion under advisement, and perhaps I will start a new thread wherein I single out the things that I don't like, and explain why, all while trying not to be a complete and total jerk.

Thanks!

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is little arguing against the fact that there's a certain SF groupthink approved image here and people react pretty strongly to many items that might not fit in there.

There may be an argument for a SF "uniform" (I'd say navy jacket, light blue shirt, brown tie of some sort, etc. etc.) but that's just a nice look that happened to get really popular. I'm not sure how much actual groupthink there could be that also isn't grounded in a lot of realism and knowledge. If certain things seem they are repeated a lot, I think they may have to do more with fit than telling someone what to look like, and they may be accurate statements.

I can think of a few outside the box folks who get love on here - Tira, Shoe Artist (I think he's gone already), LabelKing, and probably at least several others I'm just blanking on right now ...

No one's trying to conform anyone but if you put up a bad fit or something that has no cohesion, you should hear about it in a direct but also respectful way.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the average quality of fits on SF is improving, and is actually better than it was in the mythical golden days of yore. However, this is not just because of more regularly posters who get the basics, it is also because both the very top and the very bottom end have been smoothed off. So we've got fewer really awful dressers, whether they be absolute beginners, trolls, douchebags or just the plain deluded. However we also have proportionally fewer WAYWRN posters who are just undeniably and consistently outstanding, 'next level' (or whatever one wants to call it).

I think one of the other reasons is that the general quality of, the attention paid to, and what people expect from, photography, in the WAYWRN thread has increased markedly with the diffusion of higher quality cellphone cameras etc. but also with an increasing number of posters who are primarily taking shots for their own blogs or for sales purposes and just posting to WAYWRN too. There has always been an element of signature poses and attention to location, but this has markedly increased in the last 2 or 3 years. This is, in most ways, no bad thing and it means we can enjoy more magazine-like images, cool locations etc.

However, I think it's also led to an increased superficiality, which means is that a lot of people see good quality pictures and give them a thumb almost regardless of whether the fit is actually that good or 'useful'. Average dressing just looks better than it used to - and there is some distinctly average dressing appearing more regularly in this thread.

This doesn't mean that we don't also give credit where credit is due to those who do dress genuinely well - we clearly do. But the secret to really high scoring posts, if achieving this is what floats your boat, is clearly to dress very well AND take good photographs. But I guess that's also the way to get the most out of the WAYWRN these days even if you don't care for thumbs...

I am missing Holdfast, even if the quality of his pics were not the best. He shows that a smile is at least so important as good pics. Unfortunatelly I am not able to do a nice smile, when I do my pics.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There may be an argument for a SF "uniform" (I'd say navy jacket, light blue shirt, brown tie of some sort, etc. etc.) but that's just a nice look that happened to get really popular. I'm not sure how much actual groupthink there could be that also isn't grounded in a lot of realism and knowledge. If certain things seem they are repeated a lot, I think they may have to do more with fit than telling someone what to look like, and they may be accurate statements.

I can think of a few outside the box folks who get love on here - Tira, Shoe Artist (I think he's gone already), LabelKing, and probably at least several others I'm just blanking on right now ...

No one's trying to conform anyone but if you put up a bad fit or something that has no cohesion, you should hear about it in a direct but also respectful way.

TTO was the best at this IMHO. He took "safe," classic looks and tweaked them to make them inimitably his on a routine basis.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TTO was the best at this IMHO.  He took "safe," classic looks and tweaked them to make them inimitably his on a routine basis. 

Good call. You see TTO in a suit and he looks as comfortable as if he was in pajamas. I'm also a fan of his hat game.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems silly to bemoan the rather populist nature of a thread devoted to popular posts. It's simple enough to quote the 20-thumb fits you think are undeserving and offer your critique, though. If you think something's missing, fill the need!

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think we need to hug it out. Are you in Lagos or NYC? Respond quickly I'm getting on a plane in two hours and don't want to guess wrong.
*sees it is 10 hrs late*

I am neither at the moment.

Hope your first class tix didn't go to waist.

I hope you flew first class. I only associate with people who fly first class.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems silly to bemoan the rather populist nature of a thread devoted to popular posts. It's simple enough to quote the 20-thumb fits you think are undeserving and offer your critique, though. If you think something's missing, fill the need!

If you're including my contribution in this comment, I don't think I was doing much bemoaning, I was considering the nature of 'popularity' on SF, because it's not like 'popularity' is some unproblematic thing: "50 Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong!" and all that... But I mean, none of this is important in the grand scale of things. It's certainly not what keeps me awake at night. It's all just for ***** and giggles...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First class. Timeless and classic.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My fits lately haven't made the cut...
frown.gif
I guess I need new stuff.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fits lately haven't made the cut...
frown.gif
I guess I need new stuff.

False, Betel--you've got a great wardrobe and combine it well. I've never held back a thumb for lack of a full fit, but it would be nice to see some head-to-toe shots more often!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads