1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

There are some really nice fits the last 10 or 20 pages or so, but then some other amazingly average fits that I am frankly surprised made the cut.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thumbing has become increasingly liberal since starting this thread. I don't think this is a bad thing, as the greater volume of thumbs allows for a more rigorous understanding of what has been approved of by the crowd (two fits that would have got an 8 and a 10 a couple of years ago might now get a 16 and a 20, highlighting the difference in quality per crowd standards)

But I've been toying with the idea of increasing the thumb minimum to 25. Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. kulata

kulata Senior member

Best batch. Everybody gets an award and Braddock has been firing on all cylinders lately.

1 person likes this.
  5. kulata

kulata Senior member

Previous
    Best suit fit: EliodA. That attolini looks damn good on you.
    Best Odd jacket fit: Gino Abruzzo
    Notable mention: Chocsosa's cute daughter
    Notable mention: Acridsheep congratulations!
    Best FU detail: Clarinetplayer's lapel

Current
    Best suit fit: SeamasterLux. So many good suits but one is a Camps de Luca :lol:
    Best Odd jacket fit: Anden
    Notable mention: Coxsackie's bold fit
    Notable mention 2: Cleav and Tchoy being impeccable as usual. They make it look easy

What this thread needs is more commentary. Raising thumbs threshold is not going to prevent average fits and will only limit the number of good fits in this very successful thread. We all know that the number of thumbs is not directly correlated to the quality of the individual fit and we have a lot of excellent fits not getting past 16 thumbs coz the wearer isn't well known and then we have head shots.

3 people like this.
  6. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Maybe you should do so quietly [​IMG]

7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Thanks @Claghorn

BTW did I go 4 for 4?

1 person likes this.
  8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

No, I really don't think that raising the hurdle for inclusion will really do all that much, I think it is more an issue of the law of averages.. Anyway, some good stuff here..

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I don't care about anything else now. I got a Jury Prize!!!!!!

Woohoo! Thank you, Clags!

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Lets have MOAR discussions about thumbs!!!

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Give me some (thumbs) and we can discuss how it completes me and gives me a feeling of purpose in this life.

3 people like this.
  12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Thanks, my man. I must admit I'm rather pleased with it as well.

Quote: This. I find it suprising that this fit only got 24 likes. Which leads us to this:

Quote: I would love to see more discussion about the fits in this thread. We've tried that a few times before though and the response was at best lukewarm... Then again, this thread delivers exactly what the title suggests: a compilation of WAYWRN fits that got 20 thumbs or more. That's all. No claims about quality or so.

However, more discussion would be good for this thread, I think. So just for the heck of it, I did this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just browsed through this thread and selected pics that 'spoke' to me. Please feel free to discuss, critique or amend my selection.
    (I intentionally removed the poster's names, though most of them are familiar faces anyway...)

2 people like this.
  13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

great choices and tough to make. IIRC a lot of outstanding fits in the past week or two and to my eye it's getting better in WAYWRN.
    Props for not including yr own [​IMG] ... one of my favs -

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I rarely chime in with opinions..due to the fact that style is very subjective..but here goes.. my one thing that I look for primarily when giving a thumb is I need a full pic.. from at least the shoulders to the shoes...so I can get more of a visual idea versus a shirt tie and p.s pic..then I look for coherence..one thing I noticed with your pics elio is that for the most part those pictures looked really good.. good natural light, above average camera (or so it seems) and coherent outfits.. I feel that the amount of posters with good fits has increased a lot from where it was 3-4 years ago..you are seeing more first time posters who are posting really good outfits than posters posting mediocre outfits and thus the increase in thumbs..yes there are some that benefit from a popularity standpoint on SF but IMO most of those posters have earned and continue still to put up good fit pics..just my two cents..

7 people like this.
  15. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

Thank you!

Thanks a lot! I recognize your liking of French tailoring :D

2 people like this.
  16. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Thanks, Pliny. I think I have to agree with you and @chocsosa about the quality of fits on WAYWRN. Even though I've only been active on SF for 1.5 year or so, I do feel that quality wise it has become better on average. Lately I've been compiling the posts for this thread and while initially Clag's could manage with an update around once per week, nowadays there's just too many 20+ fits. We need to update at least twice per week. And I don't think that's only down to people thumbing more liberally (yikes!!!). Sure, ocassionally there's still the odd fit in here that makes me scratch my head why it passed the treshold, but ok... OTOH, the number of really outstanding fits seems to have remained constant, at least IMO.
    One more observation: I do hope that this higher average doesn't come from WAYWRN having become so focussed on those bloody thumbs, that new posters shy away from posting their fits nowadays. I do hope that WAYWRN will always be the place to post fit pics and receive constructive feedback, regardless of the level of expertise of the poster.

2 people like this.
  17. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Good to have you back and doing a great job @Claghorn

Thanks everyone for the love.

18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I think we need to hug it out. Are you in Lagos or NYC? Respond quickly I'm getting on a plane in two hours and don't want to guess wrong.

2 people like this.
  19. grade

grade Well-Known Member

As a reasonably new poster, I can say that in my case the thumb-centric feel of WAYWRN hasn't deterred me from posting shots. It's just made me consider what I wear a little more carefully.

On the other hand, I do think thumbs have become a proxy for discussion about why certain fits do or do not work--actual, unsolicited feedback seems increasingly rare these days. I'd imagine, though, that this has already been discussed somewhere.

2 people like this.
  20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The main raison why I (and I can imagine many others) don't give feedback as much in the WAYRN thread is because people tend to get very defensive and take it personally. There will also be 10 newbies saying how great that blindingly shiny metallic tie is, so it's kind of pointless. I do give feedback in Noodles' thread, because people in there are receptive to it, and even though they might disagree, they will not get defensive. It's a much better atmosphere.

1 person likes this.